Dealing with grief

Trigger Warning: Character death

Damians prov

It had been hours since the justice league left for their mission. I, Richard, Drake and the rest of the junior justice members had been asked to stay behind. Most had left and gone home. But no way was I leaving without father. I was pissed. I wasn't a junior. I was, since a year back, a fully fledged member of the league and so was Richard and Drake. Why had they given such a bogus excuse to leave us behind? I was going to have a conversation with father when he returned.

Suddenly a boom tube opened, I turned to Richard exchanging a look. Why would the league arrive back via boom tube? I stood up and all the others who where still there stood beside me. We were maybe 8 leagues left. Among them being Myself, Richard, Drake, Connor aka Superboy, Cassi aka Wondergirl, Garth aka Aqualad and Bart aka kid flash/impulse.

First through the boom tube was Flash. But he didn't run but limped forward. Bart ran up to him, helping his mentor. Next came Wonder Woman and Black Canary, followed by Martian manhunter, Green arrow and Aquaman. Lastly came Cyborg and Superman. Cyborg closed the boom tube. The members looked rather beat up and so many thoughts were racing through my mind until I noticed it. I took a step forward without really thinking.

"Where is father?" All eyes turned to me. The leaguers exchanged a look and Superman came walking up to me. I felt his hand on my shoulder.

"I'm so sorry Damian." My heart was racing and it was difficult to breathe.

"No..." Was the only thing I could say. Clark's hand pressed on my shoulder.

"Batman didn't make it."

It felt like my mind froze.

"No, no...no, no, no." I was shaking uncontrollably, tears came streaming down from under my mask. This wasn't happening, it was a dream, a trick, a lie. Clark guided me to a chair and helped me sit down. He was speaking to me but I couldn't hear him. I saw Richard fall to the ground, Wonder woman stroking his back. Drake was shaking his head and was embraced by Connor, when he started to punch and kick while he screamed. I sat immovable in the chair. It seemed unreal. Tears kept streaming down my face and at some point I passed out because I don't remember anything else before waking up in the manor.

Dick's pov

I walked up to the manor, wiping my cheeks from the dried tears. I walked into the livingroom to see Damian sitting up on the sofa where I had left him. I spoke in a low voice, it betraying me several times.

"Damian, uhm... The others are down stairs in the cave. I'm going to tell them... You do not need to be there." Damian turned to look at me. His normal green eyes looked dull. The quiet felt like a thick syrup in the air. I hated this feeling. I had been through it too many times. Damian stood up and walked over to me.

"I should be with you." His voice was groggy and emotionless. I knew it was how he dealt with emotional pain but it still saddened me to see him shut down like. We walked together down to the cave where Tim, Jason, Barbra, Cass, Stheph and Duke were waiting. Tim was being quiet and the others were very confused as to why they had been summoned and why myself, Tim and Damian were not in our suits. I stepped forward.

"Um... I have something to tell you guys... and it's not good news..."

"Well spit it out!" Jason growled. I looked at my younger brother. Whom I once lost, the memory of when Bruce told me he had died came up in my mind and how painful it had been to find out. And now I had to inflict that pain upon him, upon all of them.

"Jason... *Sigh*... There was a JL mission... Just the original leaguers went, we were left behind... The mission went sideways and... " Tears formed in my eyes and started to tickle down my cheeks. I saw the panic grow in Jason's eyes. "Oh god... Jason I'm sorry, Bruce didn't make it back..." I brought a hand up to my mouth, desperately trying to fight back the tears but failing. Stephanie sat down on the floor, Cass walked off, Duke sat down on a chair and Barbra rolled up to me and I embraced her. Crying hard into her lap. Jason was standing completely still, eyes wide. I heard Tim start to cry again. I stood up and walked over to Jason. "Jay." I tried to hug him but he shook me off and walked away. Climbing on his bike and driving off. I turned to look at Damian but he wasn't there anymore. "Where did Damian go?" Steph looked up at me from the floor.

"He went back up the stairs I think." Barbra rolled up to me again.

"Go and check on him Dick. I'll hold down the fort." She said with a sad smile. I nodded and walked back up to the manor.

I looked in Damians room but he wasn't there. I was starting to get worried when A soft meow came from behind me. I turned to see Alfred the cat looking up at me.

"Hi Alfred, have you seen Damian?" I asked as I petted him under the chin. He looked up at me then started walking off. Turning to look at me as to tell me to follow him. And so I did. He walked down the hall before he slipped into Bruce's room. I sighed and opened the door. I saw Alfred jump up on the bed and curl up next to Damian who was in a fetal position on the bed. I couldn't hear him but I knew he was crying. I walked up to him and sat down on the bed next to him. He didn't turn to look at me. He was silently sobbing into one of Bruises shirts and I felt my own tears run down my face. I stroked the hair away from his forehead.

"I'm so sorry Damian." A loud sob escaped him and I laid down in the bed. He turned around and cuddled up against me, crying into my shirt and I held him tight, crying as well.

What on earth are we gonna do now? 

A/N Just some random angst for you, my little bats.  Hope you like it ;)