Rejection

Dick was tapping away at the batcomputer. Bruce was on JL business and he was taking care of Gotham. Not that Damian couldn't do it if he wanted to but the sixteen year old still wasn't fully trusted by his father so.... Dick was stuck babysitting. Even if he loved spending time with Damian he really wanted to go back to Blüdhaven.

"Dick."

"AAAAHHHH!" Dick yelled as he turned around, taking his hands up in defense. But he relaxed as he saw the superman hovering a bit away. Looking as innocent as always. "Oh shit Jon. you nearly gave me a heart attack." Jon smiled sheepishly.

"Sorry. I'm used to Damian, and he always knows I'm here before I know I am." Dick smiled. That was Dami alright. Jon looked into the ground and Dick's smile exchanged for concern.

"Jon is everything ok?" Jon landed on the floor and took a step closer.

"I need your help... or at least advice." Dick furrowed his brow.

"Sure. I promised Clark when he left to be here for you, so ask away." Jon gave a slight smile and walked over, jumping up and sitting on the control panel in front of the huge computer.

At that exact moment Damian made his way out into the batcave from where he had been in a special lab examining some evidence. He sensed Jon's presence and soon heard him speak. So he decided to hide behind the big copper penny and listen in.

"I...I have something I want to talk to Damian about. But I don't know how to bring it up without him dismissing me." Damian furrowed his brow.

"You are in love with Damian." Dicks said calmly and Jon looked at him with wide eyes and Damians heart stopped. Then Jon looked at the floor, blushing.

"Is it that obvious?" Dick laughed but Damian felt like he couldn't breathe.

"Hehe, Yeah! Pretty obvious, has been for a while. Ever since you and Jay Nakamora broke up actually." Jon looked at Dick and bit his lip.

"I have felt like this for way longer, basically ever since I went out into space." Damian stood pushed against the cold surface of the penny. Eyes wide and his heart in his throat. "But How do I tell him? I mean I know he doesn't care about gender and stuff. And I think he likes me back-"

"Oh he definitely does." Dick grinned and Jon smiled.

"Has he told you that?" Dick shook his head.

"Not with words, but it is just as obvious as your feelings towards him." Jon's smile widened and he blushed deeper, but then the smile slowly subsided.

"But how do I bring this up. Dick, you know how he is and what he things about connections they are liabilities. I don't want him to dismiss me. I have tried bringing it up. You know, talk about crushes and romantic interest but he just shuts me out." Damian was shaking, his mind was a mess and he couldn't make out a single thought.

"I think that the easiest is to be straight with him...or you know... not straight obviously. But tell the truth. Say you have something sensitive to talk about and that he shouldn't dismiss it but actually think about it. And I think he will listen to you."

"Then what? Even if he feels the same, will he let himself act on those feelings? You know him, he sabotages his own happiness all the time. How do I get him to see that love is something powerful and beautiful?" Damian suppressed a sulk and squeezed his eyes together.

"Damian is scared. I know he says he isn't afraid of anything but when it comes to feelings he is terrified. He didn't have love growing up. Talia manipulated him. Sure he loved her but she never truly loved him back. So of course he is scared to love again. It took years for him and me to get to a place where we were completely comfortable with each other. And there is a reason you are one of his only friends. Damian is terrified of getting hurt emotionally. Cause he has never been taught how to deal with it." Damian tried holding back his tears but a few still made their way down his cheeks.