Chapter 13

CHARACTER VIEWS DO NOT REPRESENT MY OWN. Please be civil in the comment section.

J Cole is my babes.

It was the second of January when on a snowy morning, I was shaken from my sleep. Bleary eyed and mouth covered in dried drool, I stared up at Aunt Jade and asked. "What is it? Is it Dad?

"No - well, I suspect is it about him. Chief Michaels is here, with questions concerning your father. Get up and hurry and get dressed. He looks like he's just came back from sucking a cheesy dick. The man is not patient at all."

With that pleasant image in my mind, I threw back my covers and stumbled as I made my way over the avalanche of Jade's stuff to the bathroom. I washed my face and cleaned my teeth and wrapped my dressing gown around me and slipped my feet into my furry slippers before heading down into the shop. On the way, I caught the time. It was half ten in the morning and having gone out with Irvin for a couple of drinks last night, I was honestly feeling like I've been dragged through hell and back by my hair.

The middle aged man with the sour face and greying hair stood up as I walked in. His face was tired and his smile was forced. "Morning, I left your aunt a message that'd I'd be paying a visit."

"Yeah, she mentioned something," I replied, sitting down on the chair opposite him. I sat cross-legged, flinching back against the cold floor.

"Did you have a good Christmas?"

"Hmm," I nodded and turned my face away as I yawned tiredly.

There was sounds of clomping and Jade appeared. Her face was haggard and her mascara was smudged under her sharp green eyes. Her dyed flaming red hair was dismayed and her nipple rings poked out from her t-shirt. "Do I need to call my lawyer?"

Chief Michaels sighed and his gaze regarded Jade in contempt. "I already told you, this isn't an official visit. I just want a talk with Shay regarding her father, alone, so if you wouldn't mind..."

Jade looked at me.

"I'll be fine," I assured her and as she made her way back upstairs, I straightened up in the chair, on high alert.

Chief Michaels looked at me, glanced down at the folder in his hands before meeting my gaze and saying. "She's cautious, isn't she? Almost as if she's afraid you'll say the wrong thing."

"Not cautious, just protective. And I - we have nothing to hide."

"Of course," his eyebrows rose slightly and he cleared his throat. "You can relax. I want to ask you a few questions. Have you seen your father around?"

"The missing posters are still up. What do you think?"

"Yes or no?"

"No," I smiled forcefully.

"Is it possible for your father to be in hiding?"

"I don't know, is it?"

"How well do you know him?"

"Well enough considering he is my father."

"You're a smart kid," Michaels looked like he wanted to throttle me. He opened up his folder, taking out a paper and sliding it across the floor to me.

I stepped on it and he looked at me, ordering. "Take a look."

Turning over the paper, I almost threw it away. Sickness crawled up my throat and I averted my eyes away. It was a picture of a teenaged boy and an older woman on a sofa, both with a bullet in their head, and their blood was splattered like paint on the wall behind them. "What is this?"