Chapter 27

CHARACTER VIEWS DO NOT REPRESENT MY OWN. Please be civil in the comment section.

It was a full moon tonight. The pretty silver dime was hidden by jealous steel-coloured clouds. The downpour was fast and sharp, spitting and splattering on the shiny ground. It only got worse. Thunder rumbled, monstrous bellyaches of sound, a quick second of silence, a deep, foreboding moment, and then lightening. Wicked white lights lighting up the heavy blued sky.

I rushed from the safety of the Shogun, hood up, eyes squinting, wet lashes, into the café. My top was soaked and my jeans were heavy. Millie stared disapprovingly at my squeaky damp boots as I trod across the café to sit beside Irvin. James and Cole watched me in astonishment. "Where'd you go?" Irvin asked.

Cole's nostrils flared. "Why do you stink of petrol?"

I smiled briefly. "It's a new Britney Spears' perfume."

James thrummed his fingers on the table. Irvin fidgeted and then straightened up, he pushed his hot chocolate towards me. "Since you let yours go cold..."

Cole opened his mouth to say something.

My phone rang. "Hello?"

"Would you mind explaining to me why your house is on fire?"

"What?"

"Your house is on fire."

"My house is on fire?"

"Did I not just say that?" Chief Michaels snapped irritably.

"Oh, no." I paused. "Is it still on fire?"

Irvin asked who it was. I mouthed the caller's name.

"Jesus Christ, kid." Chief Michaels said. "I've tried helping you. But you've just dug yourself into an early grave. What the hell were you thinking?"

"Wait. You can't possibly think I set it on fire?" I exclaimed affronted. Cole turned to James in utter disbelief. James shook his head.

"A neighbour – Mrs. Teller – reported seeing you."

"I'll choke that lying bitch. Suffocate her with her pink frilly cushions."

Cole shut his eyes. I think he was in agony. Irvin muttered, "Oh, my God." And then sniggered.

"Do you realise who you're talking to!?"

"That was a joke, Mick. Calm down."

"I'm coming to see you. Where are you?"

"Millie's Café, off High Street. With Irvin. Where I've been all night."

"That's convenient."

"Sure is, Micky boy."

He ended the call.

"Well..." I set my phone down. "I should change out of these clothes."

Cole was the first to break. "What the HELL have you done?"

"There's cameras. He'll be sure to check them." James insisted, leaning forward, pointing.

"We can say they're not in use. Just there for decoration. Or faulty. Whatever. It doesn't matter."

"It doesn't matter!?" Cole repeated and then tried to stay calm, voice low, almost (but, not quite) counsellor-like, sympathetic. "Why would you set your house on fire?"

"The competitive market got to me. Now I feel free. Sort of cutting ties if you like. My therapist says it's a great stress reliever. I should give you her number, Cole. That vein in your forehead is seconds from bursting."