Chapter 28.5

CHARACTER VIEWS DO NOT REPRESENT MY OWN. Please be civil in the comment section.

Irvin was bundled into the back of a cop car. It felt like déjà vu except last time it was a bunch of criminals and the boot. His yells never ceased. Self-proclaimed bursts of innocence and demands to free him. He was wearing himself out and he thrashed in the car, slamming himself against the door as if that made a difference to the locked vehicle.

The officer who held me finally stepped back. Like troops, they all filed out. Stomping boots, apathetic faces, dead eyes. All very similar to each other. The hallway was a mess of muddy footprints and shoved potted plants. Doorways were left screaming with a gaping hole. A small peep into the rooms showed disarray and a struggle that didn't last long. The pizza was face flat on the floor, cheese sticking to the carpet.

I ran out after them into the bitter wind and the sudden downpour. "You can't do this! He didn't kill them."

Michaels rested his hands on his belt. A deep, tired sigh ruffled his moustache. Long, dark hairs poked out from his nostrils. "Shay," condescending tone, he gently pulled me away from the cars by the elbow, he looked sympathetic. I was just a stupid kid to him. "I understand you want to protect-"

"You don't understand jack shit. You've got the wrong person." I yanked my arm to my side. A dirty glare on my face. "You've always had it out for Irvin. This is a cock-up. A goddamn gloat and a lie and you know it. What are you going to do now, go home and jack off onto your wife's stomach? She'll lap it up like a proud mutt."

He clicked his tongue in irritation. I went too far and I almost immediately regretted it but I didn't apologise. His eyes hardened. "You want to help your friend? Find out who got Jessica Bull pregnant."

"What are you talking about?"

"You don't know? I figured you'd read the news everyday considering your delicate situation. She was pregnant. Two months. I'm guessing she was passed around like a rag doll between your friends. Her report came back: she had a lot of drugs in her system. Was she raped? She couldn't have possible given consent. And guess who the suspect is? Tehrani-"

"You're insane. And why are you asking me this, anyway? I don't have the answers."

He stepped closer and lowered his voice, intimidating and urgent. "Find out for me. You do this and I won't charge Jade with terrorism. What, don't you remember the tip off you gave me the other day? I have to thank you for that. Although when I arrived, there was no sign of your father but a quick check of the CCTV showed me the frequent trips he was making in and out of the house."

"This is blackmail..." I stepped back, wary.

He smiled grimly. "This is a beneficial understanding between the two of us. Give me what I want and I'll protect your family."

"What about Irvin?"

His smile fell. His face twisted. "Let him rot."

**

Henry Wilson was a tall man in a suit. His grey socks peeked out. Blonde hair and startling blue eyes and an award-winning smile. There were two lawyers. One nameless who represented Cole and the other who was Henry who represented the rest of Cole's band of merry men. Henry tiptoed around, barely resting his feet flat against the floor before taking off again. He was a flighty man. Eyes darting everywhere. Chattering nonstop nonsensically. "...I was at this sandwich bar the other day. Trying to be vegan but had this incredible ham and salami sandwich. It was my cheat day-"

Cole pressed his forefinger and middle finger against his forehead, closing his eyes in exhaustion and frustration. "For God sake. Why haven't you already left?"