Chapter 72.5

SO COLD

SO COLD

The fridge hummed in the glum obscurity of the kitchen. The ash-grey tiles were cool and seemed to vibrate slightly. Or perhaps that was my imagination. I watched the powerfully-built man before me, lean and broad-shouldered, clothed in a black sweatshirt and matching jogging pants. Brown-skinned with eyes that could be sultry and then cruel in the next snap of fingers, and a mouth that murmured sinful thoughts in the dead of the night and barked criminal orders the following morning. He reached for the neck of the bottle he loved so much and tipped for the second time. Whiskey was poured into a glass, and the sound was loud in the hushed telling aftermath of Sylvie's misfortune. He raised the glass to his mouth.

"Was the child yours?" I asked for the truth. My voice was steady and quiet.

He stilled in his movements, meeting my gaze, and a nerve ticked in his jaw. "No." His tone was harsh. He swallowed a large mouthful, set the glass down on the countertop forcefully. "You've already asked me this question, Shay."

"I'll ask again. Was she carrying your bastard child?" I grew irate in a matter of seconds, skin aflame and hot-tempered. "Answer the fucking question, Cole!"

His jaw hardened. His expression was mean. "I'm not in the mood to deal with your insecurities. Fuck off and go to bed."

"She announces she's having your child, claps her hands and calls for a celebration. You deny it immediately and the two of you leave. You later tell me it's Giant's baby she's carrying and I don't see her again. And now she's tripped down the stairs and lost the baby? It's too much of a coincidence and I'd be blindly retarded to miss what you're so desperate to hide." My accusation irked him greatly.

"Shay," Cole warned lowly. "I'm telling you the bitch wasn't carrying my child. Drop it."

I couldn't. I was tempestuous. "Pardon me if I don't believe you." My tone was acerbic.

"I didn't cheat on you. How many fucking times do I have to tell you this?" Irritation darkened his features. He took a hold of his glass once more, remarking discourteously, glass to his mouth. "You're looking for a fight. Go out and play with the dog. I'm not going to entertain you." He threw back the rest of the liquid and slammed the glass down.

"Oh, fuck off," I lashed out in anger. "You get on my damn nerves." I turned on my heel, storming away.

"Stomp any harder and you'll go through the floorboards. What are you, a fucking elephant?"

"Fuck off!" Greece bounded up to me as soon as I stepped into the living room. I turned my cheek to the side and tried to control her eager tongue. "Stop. Sit down, Greece. Not on the sofa with me, you know you're not allowed." I grabbed her by the collar, moving her to sit at my feet. She settled down, her face resting on my knee, content as I rubbed her behind her ears. I reached for the remote control, powering on the TV.