Chapter 31

CHARACTER VIEWS DO NOT REPRESENT MY OWN. Please be civil in the comment section.

SO COLD

Yolande sat on the front row in class. Walking through the door, her eyes met mine and she beckoned me over. It felt like she was waiting for me to make an appearance. "Saved you a seat," she nodded to her left. With her there was no room for questions. She looked at me expectantly. I slid into the seat and slipped off my backpack. Resting my elbows on the desk, I rubbed my temple.

"Late night?"

"You could say that," I murmured softly. "I've got a wincing hangover."

She tutted disapprovingly. "Did you even have breakfast?"

I grunted. "Had to skip it. I was getting late."

Joe walked in and Bryson followed. I didn't look at him directly and as he passed, he rapped my desk with his knuckles. "Nice to see ya, Potty Mouth."

Yolande twisted her head to look at him and then turned to me. I felt her stare and waited for the questions I didn't want to answer right now. Surprisingly, she remained quiet and as Joe handed out past papers and mark schemes, she reached for her bag and took out a cereal bar which she handed to me.

"Oh. Thanks."

"Don't worry about it."

We didn't speak much after that except to discuss answers and compare theories. Ivy often strolled to the front of the class to ask Joe a question and each time she did she made sure I caught the triumphant grin and glittering eyes. She was itching for me to catch on but I remained unresponsive. I wasn't going to give her satisfaction.

The ruined Shogun was still in the parking lot and had been victim of goggling and ridicule laughter but I had trudged past it all and headed straight to class.

With class coming to an end, Joe allowed everyone to have the last five minutes to relax and pack up our books. I was on my feet and ready to bolt. I wanted to run down to the canteen to grab a bottle of water before I had to go to form room.

"Wait up," Bryson caught my elbow and when I turned to face him, he smiled lazily. "My brother's coming to pick your car up at lunch. You got the keys?"

"Yeah." I unzipped my backpack and took out the keys. Yolande marched towards us and passed and then stopped. She turned around, pulling her earbuds out.

"Meet me in the library once you're free."

"Sure–"

Ivy and Rachel and her little gang of ogres sauntered past. They were whispering and shooting furtive glances at us. Ivy screeched in laughter and Rachel guffawed but something about her expression seemed force and uneasy, as if she didn't appreciate the joke.

Bryson, Yolande and I remained silent until they were gone, faces slack and then Yolande praised me. "I'm glad you didn't retaliate. She's got some deep-rooted problems and–"

"You had sex with her father," Bryson interrupted.

"Your point being?" Yolande pushed her curls from her gaze and raised her eyes to defiantly glower at Bryson. "It was just sex. If she wants to be angry with someone, she should direct it towards her father. I don't owe her nothing. I'm just saying we shouldn't bother with her anymore. She'll get bored and move on."

Before they could break out into an argument, I announced quickly. "I gotta dash. Bell's about to ring and I need to get to form room." I gave a short lame wave and scrammed. I didn't have enough time to go down to the canteen so I stayed dehydrated as I joined the hordes of students heading up the stairs. Walking into form I exited an hour later. We watched a documentary about body dysmorphic disorder and followed the life of a girl who ended up dying. It was pretty down and gloomy but not as thought-provoking as Miss. Rift hoped it would be.