Chapter 65

SO COLD

SO COLD

Pop. Sound returned in both ears. I could hear the sizzle of the metal burning, voices overlapping and the loud barks of the neighborhood dogs soon joined by Greece who howled frenziedly, attempting to claw the living room door where she was trapped behind. Heavy footsteps ran down the stairs. Irvin, in his pajamas and hair wild and untamed, gaped at the scene before him. He paused with his foot in the air, staggered and horrified. His eyes widened with disbelief.

I reached Cole's side, my knees smashed against the floor and pain skittered up my thighs. My hands were trembling with jittery nerves and just as I touched his face, my heart sinking into despair, he groaned loudly. His eyes opened, he grimaced in distress and he raised a hand, features smudged with concern like dirt. "You're bleeding," he brushed against my right ear and withdrew a hand stained red. He leaned up on his elbows, grazing the back of his head. "I'm bleeding, too. God fucking damn it."

"Careful," I helped him to his unsteady and eager-to-move feet, arm around his waist, intestines wound up tight with uneasiness and uncertainty. He didn't look well. My shoulders weighed down with a bleak and hopeless reality: he appeared to be a soon-to-be possessed item of death. I assisted Cole to the kitchen, allowing him to lean on me, and he collapsed on a black stool. Strain gave way for relief and he exhaled through his mouth, in agony. Wetness slithered down the side of my throat.

Sirens blared in the air. It would be a matter of moments before cops would storm the place.

James poured a glass of water for myself and a cold glass of strong whiskey for Cole. He ran a hand through his black tightly wound curls, coffee brown eyes narrowed and thoughtful. His tall and powerful body was agitated, a pumped up powerhouse ready to detonate in our faces, energy manic and racing for the finish line. He was a crouched tiger, eager and bloodthirsty. "I'll have the entire city swarming with bloodhounds by the afternoon, searching for the bastard. Every crook will come out from the sewer. The bounty will return to sit on his head; half a million. There'll be no place for him to hide, no friends to turn to, he'll be alone, and then I'll murder him. The bastard will be unrecognizable by the time I've finished. Your father will die in agony. I'll tear his skin from his body and decapitate him. His naked body will be displayed in the town center for all to see. A glory. His final moments will be humiliating." The smile on the man before us was chilling. He fantasized boldly of his heinous and damnable sins.

The water turned stale in my mouth.

"You'll find him and bring him to me. The execution belongs to Shay. She'll be the one to kill him. Be careful, James. Lose control and you'll be repeating history. You'll obsess over your mistakes and find yourself staring down at your regrets in bottles. This isn't your fight. Calm down. Gather yourself. There's no point in getting heated up, if you leave now you'll be spraying bullets to whoever so much glances your way and you already pay enough medical bills. Take Irvin with you. Leave."