Chapter 79

SO COLD

SO COLD

Sunday night. 10:31 PM. Sat in front of me was a glass of hard liquor with ice cubes that had melted long ago. In a room alone, there was a burst of voices and snippets of conversations, all jostling for attention in the spotlight and unabashed of the curious and prying fingers that would dissect each word and each pause in their speech. It was like an audience of hands in the air, pickmepickmepickme! I roamed the sea of words, eyes flickering from one seat to another, settling on Daniel and then Flight before finding Airport at the far end of the first row. What was I missing?

Was it a simple explanation of leaving, a quick snip of ties and relations and a hurried suitcase as James theorised? His speculation of Daniel running away didn't sit right with me, an uncomfortable presence fashioned from disbelief refused to mark it down as 'He ran away'. He loved his younger sister, Elisha; a sweet five-year-old with braids and warm honey brown eyes. He would attend meetings with the social worker, work alongside all their demands of 'can' and 'cannot', write letters to pass on to the social worker in the months waiting up to have face-to-face contact. It was unlikely he threw all of his progress away to run away.

And then there was his mother and dead rapist uncle–

My consciousness jolted back into the presence. "You seem deep in thought," Isiah opened the fridge, pulling out a beer bottle and light spilled out into the dim kitchen. He closed the door and the room was darkened once more. "What's bugging you?" There was a small hiss of pressure escaping as he snapped off the lid.

"Work." I sat up straighter, lies tumbling out of my mouth. "And the drive back. I'm already in the holiday mood and I'm not looking forward to picking up clothes off the floors in the changing rooms."

"Quit. It doesn't make sense for you to be living in a different town and driving back and forth every so often. There are better jobs than retail. You can work in the surgery with the girls at reception. It pays better."

I feigned hesitancy. "I can't, I enjoy my job, and it's not so bad driving here and back."

"You won't have to pay rent or any of the bills living here. You can start saving up for when you go back to university in September. Have you thought of enrolling in January?"