A flash of the past

"Hey, that wasn't bad." Dean praised. Patting the kid on the shoulder, Dean smiled as he took the small gun from Milo. Placing it back in his jacket pocket.

However, at the sudden sound of Milo shouting out, Dean's face twisted in confusion as he turned to the boy.

"Blake." Is all he had said, grabbing a hold of his head. Groaning in pain.

As if a light bulb went on, Dean turned to face where she had been sitting, only to find it empty.

"What—-" Dean's heart hammered in his chest. She was right there. And then she wasn't. 

"Blake!" Milo called out, heading of into a direction he hoped she was in.

"Hey!" Dean shouted to Milo, following him Blindly into the woods.

"Blake!" Milo yells out again.

"Ah!"

At the sound of the small scream, Dean immediately knew who it was. Quickly, he grabbed Milo and followed the small sounds of whimpers.

"Blake!" Dean said, relief filled his tone as he quickly grabbed his daughter in his arms. The girl took slow breaths as she hugged her father close to her. Her watery eyes looking right at Milo.

"What happened? What—" Dean couldn't even comprehend what was going on. Blake knew to never leave without telling him. Even now, with Milo, she knows to at least take him with her so this doesn't happen.

With her quick thinking, Blake was able to come up with a lie. "I—I thought I heard something. I'm sorry, I got lost—"

Shaking his head, Dean placed her down on the ground and let her hug Milo.

"Why didn't you just come get me? You know that's what you do."

"You were helping Milo, I didn't want to interrupt—"

Dean sighed. He ran a hand over his face as they made their way back to the car.

"It doesn't matter what I'm doing. You think you hear something, see something, you come straight to me. You don't go investigate it yourself, you know this."

Nodding,  Blake guiltily looked down to the ground and watched her feet as they walked.
When the car came into view, They silently climbed in. The Impala rumbled to life and then they were off and headed back to the motel where Sam waited.

———-

————-

"Dad?" Blake called out, quietly.  The silence of the night claimed everyone down after an eventful afternoon. Milo slept as if nothing happened, but Blake was restless and couldn't even begin to think about falling asleep.

"Yeah?" Dean answered, turning down the radio that played a old rock song they both knew by heart.

"How'd you meet mom?"

The question was out of the blue. Blake herself didn't even know why she asked, but she had always wanted to know.  And she guessed now was a good time to ask.

Clearing his throat, Dean shifted in his seat as he tried to put together that story.

"Uh, well. Actually, you know the diner?"

Blake mutely nodded.

"Well, she worked there. I met her after a case with my Dad."