mending relationships

The following Monday after the football and volleyball game was back to school as usual. Evelyn did her usual morning routine of going to Starbucks and dropping her younger brother off at daycare. But, this time with a twist, Enrique had joined them in her car this morning due to his own car issues.

"So, you and that pendejo are broken up or what?" Enrique asked as he and his sister walked down the hallways of the school.

"Don't call him that!" she hissed as they simultaneously pulled their phones out watched the meme that had been sent throughout the school of Spencer fumbling the ball.

"Stupid Asher," they said in unison and shared the same look clearing the meme from their phone, and continued on walking.

"We're the only non-problematic people in this school, Ricky," Evelyn sighed, taking a bite out of her cake pop.

"That's what happens when you go to a white privileged school," Enrique chuckled.

"Hello, Hernandez twins!" Layla cheerily greeted looping her arms through theirs. "I need to talk to Evelyn."

"If you and Asher break up..." he trailed off placing his phone to his ear. "You know my number."

"We dated for two days in middle school, Enrique," Layla giggled before getting serious. "Worse two days of my life. Goodbye!"

"What's up, Layla?" Evelyn asked moving her attention to her friend.

"So...I kind of did something and as my best friend, I need you to play along," Layla said, grinning at her friend sheepishly. "You know that Shakespeare project for Ms. Bench?"

"Yeah, Enrique made Ms. Bench put us together so I can do all the work. Which I did. But, that's not the point. What did you do?" she said.

"I need you to hang out with me and Liv at the cafe today after school. I asked Ms. Bench to put us together for the project," Layla explained. "But, I feel like the only way it'd go over well is if our mutual bestie is there with us. Which is you."

"I'm in," she agreed. "But, you have to buy me all the iced teas and sandwiches I want."

"Deal. Meet us there."

☆☆☆

After school, Evelyn was seriously dreading hanging out with Layla and Liv. On one hand, Liv was her best friend and she was hiding a terrible secret that Evelyn now knew about. And to make matters worse now that she knows the secret she feels like she's betraying Layla in a way.

"Evie, what are you doing here?" Liv asked spotting the girl walk through the door.

"Oh, I'm here to assist you guys with the project. I finished it last night and Layla mentioned that you two were here so, I thought I'd lend you guys my brain," Evelyn explained sitting down next to Layla.

"Mmm, I guess that explains the iced tea and sandwich on the table," Liv mumbled.

Evelyn's eyes lit up as she reached forward to grab the sandwich. "Ooh, is this a—"

"Turkey, bacon, and avocado, with light mayo. Your favorite," Layla said.

"I love you," she moaned, taking a bite of her sandwich.

"What's up, ladies?" Asher asked, walking into the cafe alongside JJ.

"Uh, what are you guys doing here?" Liv asked him.

"Oh, would you look at that!" Evelyn piped up reading a text off of her phone. "Jordan is begging for my forgiveness. Gotta go! Thanks for the sandwich, Layla!"