state championship

✧

Waking up the next morning, Evelyn sent a text to Olivia asking to meet at the cafe. She wanted to apologize for snapping at her at the football game a couple of nights ago, and she also wanted to check up on her best friend.

"Hey, I'm glad you came," she said, lifting her head up from the table and looking at Liv.

"Well, you asked me to come here. So...Here I am," Liv shrugged.

"I'm really sorry for snapping at you the night of the football game," she started off. "I was just really upset with Jordan and how he wouldn't get it through his head that I didn't want him back and I took it out on you. It was unfair and I'm sorry."

"It's okay," Liv told her. "Honestly, Evie, I'm over it. I was over it the minute I walked away but you made no attempt to talk to me after so I thought you were giving up on our friendship."

"I would never give up on our friendship," Evelyn chuckled. "You keep me sane."

"I know it's only been two days but I missed you," Liv admitted.

"I missed you, too!" she laughed. "How's...your brother?"

"A mess," Liv sighed. "You should check on him."

"I don't want to give him the wrong idea. The other night I told him he looked good and then things got weird and I just can't go there with him, anymore," Evelyn said.

"I know he hurt you. But, don't abandon him completely," she said.

"Is that what you're doing with Asher?" she asked curiously. "Making sure he's not being abandoned."

Liv shrugged. "Something like that."

"I'm not trying to start up another argument and I know you're with Chris. So, I'm asking this question with caution," Evelyn said, holding her hands up defensively. "Are you into Asher?"

"No, Evelyn. I have no feelings for him at all," Liv said. "I'm just trying to be a supportive friend. He needs someone right now."

"So, how are you doing with the whole thing going on with your dad?" she asked. "Need a shoulder to cry on?"

"Yes, please," Liv giggled. "On a serious note, I'm pretty devastated. I know my family isn't perfect...not in the slightest. But, I'd never think my dad was capable of doing something like this and hiding it for so long."

"Yeah," she sighed, reaching across the table to grab her hand. "If you ever need to get away from the mess at your house or you want to run away. My house is always free."

She gave her an appreciative nod. "I know, thank you."

"You can always come with us to Tulum for winter break," Evelyn suggested. "There's always space for you on the jet."

"As much as I'd love to go to Mexico for the break and live out my extreme rich girl fantasies on your family's private jet," Liv sighed. "I'm pretty sure my mom made plans for us already."

☆☆☆

Minutes before the game had started Evelyn wandered over to the guest locker room at South Crenshaw and sent Jordan a text, hoping that he'd read it and meet her outside.

"What do you want, Evelyn?" Jordan asked, holding his helmet in his hand. "Come to tell me how you don't want to be with me...again?"

"No, Jordan, and I'm not here to argue either," she said. "I'm here to tell you that we might be broken up. But, I'm still here, as your friend. Strictly as just your friend, though. I know you're going through a hard time with your dad and I want you to know that I'm here for you. Always. No matter what BS you throw at me."

"I appreciate it, Evie. I'm sorry that I snapped at you," Jordan said, squeezing her arm. "So, we're really done? Like for good?"

"Jordan..." she trailed off, shaking her head. "I'm dropping that big ass box of your shit tomorrow morning. Got it?"

"Got it," he nodded.

"Good," she giggled patting his cheek. "Good luck out there, superstar."

Jordan gave her a charming smile before running away. "Thanks, sweetheart."

"Why do you look so happy? Are you and Jordan back together?" Liv asked noticing the small grin on her friend's face.

"Hell no. We're done for good," Evelyn scoffed, widening her eyes over at Mrs. Baker. "Sorry, Mrs. Baker."

Mrs. Baker let out a breathy laugh. "It's fine, sweetie. But, just because you and Jordan are broken up doesn't mean you can abandon the rest of us."

"Oh, please," Liv chuckled. "She can't stay away from me for too long."

Evelyn reached over kissing her friend on the cheek in agreement before placing her attention back onto the field. The game was close up until the third quarter, with each team equally scoring just as many touchdowns.

The ball was snapped and Chris got ahold of the ball and ran down the field. Spencer came running full speed and tackled him down. It was a hard hit, making the crowd cheer. The cheers had died down once they noticed that Chris hadn't moved.

Olivia gripped Evelyn's arm in worry as she looked down at the field. "Why hasn't Chris gotten up yet?"

After minutes of Chris not getting up they made the connection that he was seemingly paralyzed. Liv had run down to the track and over to the ambulance once it arrived and Chris shot the crowd a thumbs up.

Once the ambulance left, the game had resumed. Spencer ran back to the field after a talk with his dad in the locker room and things were back to normal. South Crenshaw was up a 7-point lead.

Within the last six seconds of the game, they were tied, and with a touchdown from Spencer, the Eagles won. Making them the State Champions.

Evelyn had followed Mrs. Baker's lead as she ran down the bleacher steps. But, instead of congratulating Jordan, she walked over to Asher instead.

"Hey," she greeted, waving around the plastic pom-pom. "Congrats!"

Asher let out a small laugh. "Thank you, Evie."

"Um, I guess, I'll see you after winter break," she hummed, shoving her hands into the pocket of her jacket.

"Maybe after break, I'll get that back," he laughed, pointing at the jacket he had given her the night that they wounded up in Crenshaw. "But, yeah, I'll see you after break."

"Highly doubt you'll ever get this back," she giggled. "I'll catch you later, Adams."

Asher gave her a smile. "Catch you later, Hernandez."

Evelyn made a move out of impulse, grabbing his arm and pressing a kiss to his cheek. She quickly walked away, leaving Asher with a faint smile on his face as he watched her leave.

end of season 1