unexpected feelings

"So, I was thinking of asking Asher to be my date? You know, to my cotillion? I kind of need a partner to dance with and I don't know, it sounds stupid but, we've been hanging out lately."

Liv gave her best friend a sheepish grin while they lounged by the pool. The Latina had cringed at her friend's sudden words, she had originally planned on approaching her with the idea of a potential crush on Asher but after those words, she didn't really know what to do.

Evelyn looked out at the pool avoiding her stare. "Oh."

"Oh? Like, bad oh. Or was that a good oh?" Liv panicked.

"Do you like Asher?" Evelyn asked.

Liv tapped her nails against her thigh, thinking carefully about her next words. "I don't really know. We've just been spending a lot of time together. But, enough about me, has Jordan talked to you about anything?"

"We haven't talked since your birthday," she shrugged. "Why?"

"He got a girl pregnant," Liv confessed.

She squinted her eyes out at the pool. "Can't say I'm surprised. He's been slinging his thing around like it's no big deal since we broke up."

"Gross," her best friend grimaced. "You know, Simone Hicks? She's the one he kind of knocked up."

"Simone Hicks," Evelyn scoffed. "She's in my fourth period. I used to catch her staring at us all the time. Guess it makes sense."

"Does that upset you?" Liv curiously asked. "I mean...you guys like just broke up."

"I don't care," Evelyn shrugged. "I'm just glad it's not me."

And although Liv could usually read her best friend like a book, this time was different. Evelyn couldn't help but feel a small pang of jealousy in the pit of her stomach after hearing the news about Jordan and his recent venture into fatherhood...and she hated it.

☆☆☆

If there was one thing Evelyn was consistent about, it was being an avoider. She had been actively avoiding both Liv and Asher, since the day at her house that Liv told her how she might have feelings for Asher. She was torn. On one hand, she wants her best friend to be happy. But on the other hand, Evelyn also wanted to be happy especially after all the crap she'd gone through with Jordan.

"Hey, mom," Evelyn greeted plopping beside her mother on the bleachers with popcorn in her hand.

"Liv was just asking where you were," Jennifer informed, pointing to the other set of bleachers. "She's over there if you want to be with her."

"I'm avoiding her," she admitted.

Jennifer rolled her eyes, already accustomed to her daughter's antics. "Why?"

"Because I hate conflicts and I'm trying to avoid talking to her about something," she sighed. "Also...something's been bothering me. I don't know why but it just is."

"Stop talking in code," her mom groaned. "Just tell me what's going on."

"Okay, Asher and I kissed the day after her birthday but, a couple of days ago when Liv was over, she told me she might have possible feelings for him," she revealed. "Then she also told me Jordan got a girl pregnant. And I've just been feeling weird about that."

"The Jordan thing is completely normal to feel weird about mija. He's your ex-boyfriend and he just got a girl pregnant. I think I'd be more concerned if you didn't care," Jennifer said. "But, the Asher thing, is something you have to talk to Liv about. Stop avoiding her. She's your best friend."

"Why can't I be like Ricky," she complained, pointing over at her brother on the field. "He never has relationship issues."

"Because your brother has never had a relationship," Jennifer said. "He opens his legs for every girl. So, gross."

"Okay, I'll see you at home. I have to talk to Liv. Plus this 7-on-7 game...Definitely not what I was expecting," she mumbled, kissing her mom on the cheek and walking away.

Instead of talking to Liv first, Evelyn made a pit stop outside of the locker room to wait for Asher.

"Nice to see you're alive," Asher retorted, walking out of the locker room.

"Funny," she hummed. "I'm sorry. I've just been—"

He let out a scoff. "Avoiding? Something you do whenever you don't want to face the truth."

"I haven't talked to Liv yet. That's why I've been avoiding you...and her," she admitted.

"Yeah, I figured you didn't when she asked me to be her date to her cotillion. Which I politely declined. I don't need a therapist or someone who's trying to correct my life," he sighed. "Liv's a great friend but that's all. So talk to her. Take your time...But, not too much. And I'll be here. Waiting for you."

She gave him a soft smile. "Deal. I'll call you when things are settled."

As she attempted to walk off, Asher reached for her arm tugging her close to his body. "And I'll be waiting for that call, Evie."

Evelyn grabbed his face in between her hands pressing a kiss to his warm lips and then walked off. Hoping to catch up with Liv in the parking lot she saw her curly-haired best friend sitting in her car and rapidly knocked on the window.

Liv rolled the window down in response pinching her eyebrows together in confusion. "Yes?"

"Can we talk?" she asked. "It's kind of important."

"Sure. Um, come inside," she nodded, unlocking her car doors. "What's going on?"

"Look, the reason why I've been so weird about you and Asher...Is because I like him. That night of the football game when I snapped at you, I was jealous. And I don't want us to end up like you and Layla with you holding your feelings inside so she can get the guy. That just doesn't sit right with me," Evelyn explained, rubbing her sweaty palms onto her thighs. "I know I'm like the worst friend in the world. I've been ignoring you and I kissed Asher like three times. I'm so sorry, Liv. If you don't want to be my friend anymore I completely understand."

"It's really amusing listening to you ramble," Liv softly chuckled.

"Why are you laughing?" she freaked out. "I'm a terrible friend!"

Liv just shook her head in denial. "Evie, it's fine. I don't like Asher. Honestly, I was more interested in helping him than being with him and that's not what I need right now. So, go, and be happy. You deserve it."

"Are you sure?" she asked. "I would feel awful if you were pushing your feelings away...for me."

"Evelyn, I'm 100% sure," she reassured her.

"Oh, thank, God!" Evelyn breathed out. "I love you, Liv."

Liv reached over the console pulling her friend in for a hug. "I love you, more, Evie."

"Oh, and if you really need a partner to dance with for your cotillion. You should ask Ricky, he's a great dancer...better than Asher," Evelyn giggled, as the two stayed embracing each other. "He might try to hit on you, though."

Liv let out a small laugh. "He is a better dancer."

2x06