flashbacks & sobriety

✧✧✧

✧✧✧

One Year Ago-

"Jordan, we've been hiding this secret from Liv and Enrique for a couple of months now," Evelyn complained.

They had been secretly meeting up with each other at the beach for the last couple of months. Keeping their relationship a secret from their friends and family.

Jordan let out an irritated sigh. "What is Liv going to think, Evie? Her best friend and her twin brother."

"Look, I told Liv that I was into you a couple of months ago," she admitted. "She wasn't exactly thrilled about it. But, she also wasn't upset. Olivia's understanding...I'm sure she wouldn't mind."

"So, what are you trying to say?" Jordan asked.

"We should tell her," she sighed. "I hate lying to my best friend and I hate not being able to kiss you in public."

"And what do we do about Enrique?" he questioned. "If we think telling Liv is gonna be bad. What's going to happen when we tell him? He's my best friend and sisters are kind off limits."

"Babe," she mumbled moving onto his lap. "Let me worry about my brother, okay? If anyone knows how to deal with an angry Enrique it's me."

"Fine. Let's tell them," he said, bringing his hands down to her butt as she closed the gap and kissed him. "I really like you, Evelyn."

"Yeah, I really like you, too, Jordan," she grinned.

"My parents are probably going to kill me and Liv," Jordan sighed. "I told her not to throw that stupid party, tonight. But apparently, she's still going through with it."

"Oh, yeah, she is," she told him. "JJ sent a text to everyone and Liv told me I had to go or she'd replace me as her best friend. That bitch."

"Hey, watch it. That's my sister," he said, poking her on the nose.

"Come on," she giggled, standing up from his lap and holding her hand out. "We've got a party to get to if I wanna keep my best friend status."

The couple had made their way over to the Baker house and there was a line of cars parked on the driveway. "Wow...I think everyone's here," Evelyn mumbled, removing her hand from his hold. "Wait, do you want to go in first?"

"No. If we're doing this. We're walking in together," Jordan said, picking her hand back up. "...As a couple."

The attention soon shifted from Liv happily dancing on the bar countertop to everyone turning towards the new couple who walked through the door. Evelyn was too focused on the attention she was getting from her boyfriend to talk to her friend and didn't even notice the shift in her mood change as everyone started focusing on them rather than her.

"Have you seen Liv?" she asked him, tugging on his hand.

Jordan shook his head no before handing her a red cup. "No. But, don't worry about her right now. Look, Enrique seems fine with us. So, can we just be with each other tonight and then deal with her tomorrow."

"Hey, why don't we take this upstairs?" she smirked.

Evelyn woke up the next morning in Jordan's bed with his arms wrapped tightly around her body. Being that she didn't get to talk to Liv last night, she quickly got out of his tight hold and threw on his t-shirt from last night, and went to Liv's room to talk to her. Seeing as her room was empty she wandered down the stairs and quickly spotted her friend passed out on the couch.

As Evelyn walked closer to the couch, she noticed the way Liv's body was practically limp. "Liv...Hey, are you okay?" she asked, trying to shake her awake but failing miserably. Her pulse quickened and panic arose inside of her as she kept trying to wake her friend up. "Jordan! Jordan!"

Footsteps were heard down the steps as Jordan quickly raced over to his girlfriend. "What's wrong? Why are you yelling?"

"It's Liv," she cried out. "She's not waking up. I've been trying. Jordan! She's not waking up!"

Jordan hooked his arms up under his sister's body and lifted her up. "Liv, hey, hey. Come on. Come on."

"Mrs. Baker!" Evelyn called out, watching as the front door opened. "We woke up and she wasn't moving."

✧✧✧
Present Day-

That day was probably one of the scariest things that Evelyn had witnessed. From there on she had promised to be a more attentive friend to Liv and that meant remembering the most important milestones in her best friend's life. Evelyn had bought Liv a small gift to commemorate her one year of sobriety that was coming up and went over to the cafe seeing as that's where Liv was at.

"Hey, bestie," Evelyn greeted, walking over to her friend. "You've been ignoring me all day...But, you share your location with me so I found you."

"It's been an exhausting day, Evie," Liv sighed.

"Well...I got you a gift. Happy almost one year of sobriety. I know it's tomorrow but, I wanted to check on you today. Campaign and playoff season...Figured it'd be a tough time for you right now," she said, sliding the small gift box over.

Liv's eyebrows pinched together in confusion. "You remembered?"

"Of course I did...that day was scary," she sighed. "Plus, you're my best friend. It's apart of the deal. Um, I got you a necklace it's super cheesy and has the word strong engraved on it but I figured it suited you—"

Her words were cut off by Liv's arms engulfing her in a hug. "It's not cheesy. Thank you...I love you and this means so much to me but..." she trailed off, pulling a bottle of pills out from her pocket. "I found them this morning."

"Did you take them?" she asked.

"No. Not yet," Liv said. "But, it's been, um...It's been really hard. Today's just been really hard."

Evelyn took ahold of her friend's hand giving it an encouraging squeeze. "Liv, you're not alone. You have me—"

"And you have me," Layla said, approaching the two. "I would've made my presence known earlier. But, I didn't want to interrupt. We are here for you."

"I wish I could say the same for my family, you know? You two are the only ones who remembered it was my one-year sobriety coming up," Liv admitted.

"I'm sure they remembered," Layla said.

"No," Liv quickly shut the idea down. "But I get it. Like, they're busy. And this time is always like that. Because of playoffs and...my mom has her D.A. campaigns."

"You need to tell your parents and Jordan how you're really feeling," Evelyn told her.

"No, it'll just hurt them," she said.

"Olivia...It's hurting you. You can't deal with this by yourself, they need to know," Layla said. "I have to make a quick phone call to Spencer. But, we're here and we're staying."

"Absolutely," Evelyn agreed, leaning her head against Liv's shoulder. "I'm not going anywhere. When you move, I move."

1x12