trophies

"Alright, ladies! Circle up!" Coach Jackson yelled rounding the girls up from their scrimmage in the gym

"Alright, ladies! Circle up!" Coach Jackson yelled rounding the girls up from their scrimmage in the gym. "Tomorrow is our last game of the season, and might I add the most important game. State Championships. We're playing our rivals, Malibu High...who our football team just played and defeated during this homecoming weekend. Round of applause!"

"Woo!" the volleyball team cheered.

"Tomorrow's game is at Malibu High," Coach Jackson continued. "And I need you present and playing your best. Dismissed! Hernandez...I need you to stay, please."

"What's up, coach?" Evelyn asked, once her teammates had filed out of the gym.

"What's up? What's up is your game," she responded. "You were terrible in our scrimmage. I don't know what's going on with you. But, you need to seriously step it up. Scouts are coming to see my best player. What happens when they see you playing like that?"

She shrugged. "They don't want me at their school?"

"Yeah, you're damn right," Coach Jackson scoffed. "Hit the showers. You stink. Literally...and figuratively."

Evelyn groaned as she entered the locker room slowly shuffling her feet against the hardwood.

"Girl, no offense," Destiny said. "But, you sucked."

"Destiny!" Veronica hissed. "We agreed we would tell her nicely."

"I said no offense," the girl argued.

"No, you're right," Evelyn sighed, sitting on the bench. "I sucked. My head's not in the game."

"No, it's not. So what's going on?" Veronica asked. "You've been acting weird lately. Quiet, sad, and you've been hitting the gym hella hard. You're already skinny."

"I haven't told any of my other friends or even my brother yet," she said, looking at the two girls. "But, Jordan and I broke up. He cheated on me with some cheerleader from Malibu High. That's why I've been so unfocused at practice, lately."

"I'll kill him," Destiny said, standing up from the bench. "Give me his address. I'm not playing."

"Yeah, me too," Veronica nodded. "Give me the address of that Daddy's boy. I don't care if I have sprained ankle. I'll murder his ass."

"As much as I'd love to kill him," Evelyn groaned. "That would fix nothing. I'm just thankful cheerleaders don't go to volleyball games or I'll literally go crazy."

"Are you okay?" Destiny asked, seeing the pain in her friend's face.

"No," Evelyn admitted, standing up from the bench and grabbing her duffle bag. "But, I will be. Eventually."

☆☆☆

The next day was the big volleyball game against Malibu. Evelyn had to basically force herself out of bed and get ready for the game. She planned on driving with Destiny and Veronica which was a good way of avoiding her family once again. Once the girls arrived at Malibu High they walked through the hallways and tried to make their way towards the locker rooms but were stopped by an unfriendly face.

"Hey, are you Evelyn?" Ripley asked pushing her weight off of the wall to look at the girl.

"What's it to you?" Destiny asked, stepping in front of her short friend.

"I'm not trying to start any problems," Ripley said. "Just here to talk."

"I'm good," Evelyn said, shooing her friends away. "What the hell do you want?"

"Look, I'm not the type of girl to go after a taken guy," Ripley started off. "Jordan approached me and I didn't even know he had a girlfriend until the night of your homecoming dance. Yes, we did have sex the day he came to watch practice with his friend. But, the night of the homecoming dance, he texted me asking to meet up at the beach and I went and we hung out for a bit. But, I left when I picked his phone up and saw his lock screen which was a picture of you. His dumbass didn't even think to hide or change it."

"Wow," Evelyn sighed. "Uh, thank you for telling me since he obviously won't. I have to get warmed up."

After warming up and running through some practice drills, it was finally time for the game to start. Looking up at the stands, Evelyn noticed her family and for some reason, JJ, Olivia, and Layla sitting with each other. In the first set of the game, Evelyn was clearly off of her game but, once she remembered Ripley's word about Jordan inviting her to the beach right after Evelyn left. Every time the ball was near her she imagined his face on the ball and kept smacking them harshly towards the spiker.

Beverly's team had caught up to Malibu within the last couple of minutes and the last spike turned the evenly tied game into a winning game.

Evelyn wasn't as excited as she should've been after just winning a championship game as she dragged her feet against the floor on her way back to the locker room.

"How was the talk with that bitch?" Veronica asked leaning her weight on her crutches.

"She's actually not a bitch. Unfortunately," Evelyn admitted. "Apparently she didn't know that Jordan had a girlfriend until the night of the homecoming dance. So, whatever, I blame him, not her."

"You're better than me. I don't care if she did or didn't know," Destiny scoffed. "Bitch would've been 6 feet under."

"Oh, by the way, your friend was here," Veronica told Evelyn. "The white boy. He was standing in the corner when the game started and then he left right when we won. Super sus if you ask me."

She furrowed her eyebrows in confusion. "JJ always comes to my games. But, I saw him with Liv and Layla not by himself."

"No, not that white boy. The one everyone hates right now," she corrected.

"Asher?" Evelyn said. "That's weird. I haven't spoken to him since the football game."

Destiny giggled. "He probably just wanted to see you into those tiny shorts."