first date

✧

"I am so sorry!"

Evelyn met Asher at the cafe basically running up to the table he was sitting at. He sat patiently waiting for the girl with her favorite sandwich and iced tea laid out on the table.

"It's okay," he sighed.

"No, it's not," she groaned. "I should've been a good...whatever we are and showed up to the dinner with your parents. I know it was important to you and I should've been there. I'm sorry, Ash."

"Evie, it's okay," he said, reaching across the table and grabbing her hand. "Liv went."

Her eyes bulged out of her head. "What? My best friend went to dinner...with your parents?"

"Wasn't my idea," he scoffed. "My mom thinks Liv and me are together. Ever since we came here...she also kind of texted her to meet here the other day so we can talk."

"So your mom and Liv are best friends," she groaned. "That makes me feel great."

He reached out for her hand. "Liv told her that we weren't a couple. Just friends. I told my mom about this girl named Evelyn and how I really like her."

"You told your mom about me?" she grinned.

"Yes," he chuckled. "I told my mom about you."

She sighed, perching her chin on top of her hand. "Well, if we're telling the truth and all of that. Jordan came over last night. It wasn't entirely a family emergency. Sorry, I'm like the worst person ever."

"Jordan was at your house?" he asked. Retracting his hand from her grasp and looking away. "What'd you do with him?"

"Jordan told me that Simone wasn't pregnant with his baby. I was just being his friend," she shrugged. " But, I didn't entirely lie to you...I have been dealing with family issues. Ricky and I broke into my dad's safe and found out that he wasn't actually our dad. We didn't talk to our parents for like two weeks. It was a mess. But, things are...fine. I guess."

"What?" he questioned. "You can't just...What do you mean he's not your dad?"

"It's kind of a long story," she mumbled, looking down at the table.

"And I'm here for you," he reassured. "Just tell me...or don't. As long as you know that I'm here for you."

"When my mom was in college, she had a boyfriend who has older than her and he was a really terrible person, and he hit her. She got pregnant with me and Enrique while in college and it was his...not my dad's. My grandma told us the whole story it's just really hard to talk about," she explained.

"Wow, that's a lot. Are you okay?" he asked. "And if you don't mind me asking how does your dad tie into this?"

"My parents went to the same college, he was on a scholarship for football and he met my mom when she was going through everything...We didn't really ask for specifics but, that's basically it," she sighed. "I mean, it actually makes a lot of sense. When we were kids everyone told me and Enrique that we looked like our mother. I don't think anyone has ever told me that we looked like our dad..."