cashing in a favor

✧

"Um, what the hell is going on in here?" Enrique asked walking into his sister's room.

Evelyn ignored her brother as she moved around her room collecting the items Jordan had left behind from their relationship and shoved them into a box.

"Evelyn. Evelyn Hernandez!" Enrique yelled.

"What, Ricky?" she asked.

"What are you doing with this stuff?" he asked.

"I'm closing a chapter in my life," she sighed. "Getting rid of all the things Jordan either left behind or gave to me. The gifts that he gave, clothes, his stupid shoes. Everything."

Enrique walked over to the box and sifted through it. His curiosity took over as he found a stack of papers and scanned his eyes over them. "Dear Evelyn, one month down, a million more to go. I know you think monthly anniversaries are cheesy bu—"

"Enrique!" she hissed, snatching the paper out of his hand.

His eyebrows furrowed in confusion. "He wrote you love letters?"

"Yeah, I guess," she shrugged. "He wrote me one every month and would shove them into my locker. Jordan was a decent boyfriend."

"So, why are you ending things?" he asked sitting down on her bed as he continued to sift through the box of Jordan's belongings. "I mean, I know what he did was terrible. But, you seem like you're still in love with him."

"I am. I can't just fall out of love that easily," she sighed. "But, every time I see him and I'm with him. I think of him and that girl and I know that's not fair to hold it over his head. But, I can't be with someone I don't trust."

"Yeah, that makes sense," Enrique said. "Wait. This sweater is mine, not his! This thing was expensive!"

"Then take it back!" she yelled, as she grabbed the last item from her floor which was the jersey he had given her freshman year. "Heartbreak sucks. I wish I was whore like you."

Her brother let out an obnoxious cackle. "I'm just waiting on the right girl and then I'll give up my whore ways."

"Doubt it," Evelyn snorted, placing the top on the storage bin that contained her ex-boyfriend's belongings. "I'm going to Dillon's birthday. Liv told me he was going to be there and I just want to get rid of his shit."

"Good luck," Enrique sighed, clamping his hand down onto her shoulder.

"Can you help with the box? It's bigger than me," she pleaded.

The twins made their way out to the driveway as Enrique practically threw the box into her trunk and then ran away not wanting to do his sister any more favors. She quickly made her way over to a park in Crenshaw but not before picking up a small gift for Dillon.