track practice & surprises

Evelyn's sneaker-covered feet hit the track as she made her way around the field doing her warm-up laps

Evelyn's sneaker-covered feet hit the track as she made her way around the field doing her warm-up laps. After winter break, she got a solid week and a half break before she had to start up her track season. Luckily enough for her, during the winter break, she spent some time conditioning so she wouldn't be too out of shape for the season.

"I don't know how you run so fast," Destiny panted, catching up with Evelyn.

"I conditioned over the break," she laughed, as they stopped to catch their breath. "Plus, volleyball season isn't too far off from track. You shouldn't be that out of shape."

Destiny basically collapsed on the field as she laid flat on her back. "Yeah, well after winning a state championship I wasn't entirely focused on getting back to track so quick."

"Stand up tall! There's no air down there," Evelyn teased hovering over her friend's face and outstretched her hand for her to grab. "Hey, where the hell is Veronica?"

The curly-haired girl grabbed ahold of her hand and stood up. "She didn't get cleared. Turns out her sprain was more of a fracture."

"What?" she questioned. "It's not the same without her."

"Ladies!" Coach Morgan yelled. "Less talking, more running!"

"Coach Morgan's a dick," Destiny scoffed.

"But, he's got a nice ass," Evelyn giggled, lifting her eyebrows up and checking out their coach.

After running their warm-up laps and doing their drills. The team was called over by their coach to circle up and to announce their upcoming track meet. "Alright! We have our first track meet first thing Saturday morning. Hernandez, I'm switching you from the 200-meter sprints to the 400-meter sprints. That's it. Practice dismissed!"

"What?" Evelyn hissed, standing up to face her coach. "No way. I have the fastest time and you know that! I've been doing the 200-meter sprints since freshmen year."

"And now, I'm switching you," Coach Morgan deadpanned. "So get used to it. You know how to run fast, right? You'll be fine."

"I should've fractured my ankle," Evelyn scoffed, walking over to Destiny. "Can you believe this?"

"Maybe it's your attitude that won't make him switch you back," Destiny softly chuckled, looking up at the bleachers. "Hey, isn't that your friend? The white boy."

Evelyn turned around following her line of sight and faintly smiled. "His name's Asher, not the white boy."

"Well, whatever his name is keeps staring at you," she chuckled. "You gonna talk to him? Or is Jordan holding you back?"

"Jordan can kiss my ass," Evelyn scoffed. "I'll see you at practice tomorrow."

"Text me," Destiny smirked. "I want to know everything."

"Are you stalking me?" Evelyn teased, skipping up the bleachers and walking towards Asher.

"If I said yes. Would you run away?" Asher asked smiling at her. "Because I can lie and say I just came to watch the practice."

She squinted her eyes suspiciously before grinning at him. "Although the stalking part is weird. I'm flattered you're here to see me."

"Well, I brought you a protein shake," he said, handing her a plastic cup filled with the thick liquid. "Um, Enrique told me you usually grab one of these after practice. So, I thought I'd stop by and bring you one. Is this...weird?"

"No," she shook her head, taking the cup from his hand and plopping down on the bench. "It's really nice. Thanks, Ash."

"No problem," he said. "Um, what happened out there? You seemed upset."

"My stupid coach wants to switch me," she sighed. "It's not like I mind. It's just I know what I'm good at. So I don't see the point in switching me. Plus, I kind of like giving him a hard time."

He shrugged his shoulders as he turned his head to look at her. "Maybe you shouldn't be so good at literally everything. Kidding. Your coach is doing what's best for the team, so give him a break. It's not like you can't do it. I mean I saw you out there doing your drills. Your fast. You can do it."

She lifted her drink up to her lips taking a short sip from it as his words sunk in. "You're kind of smart. I think I like this Asher better."

"I'll keep that in mind," he said, nudging her shoulder. "Um, so you and Jordan...that's over, right? Like, for good?"

"Yes. For good," she confirmed. "He might not want that. But, I do. I'm ready to move on."

Asher let out a breath of relief. "Great. Okay, maybe we can do something. Tomorrow after school?"

"Text me the details," Evelyn said, pressing a small kiss to his cheek. "I have to go to the locker room. But, I'll see you tomorrow, Asher."

Asher blushed at the small display of affection. "See you tomorrow, E."

👤livbaker

👤livbaker

liked by asheradams and 1589 more

eviehernandez normalize ditching your ex for their sister😼

livbaker forget him I'm so much better🤩😘

asheradams weird thing to normalize...but if you insist

     →eviehernandez I do!

jjparker i always knew you were a fruitcake🤨

     →eviehernandez plsss😭 not a fruitcakeee😫