goodbye

✧

"So, let's talk summer plans."

Joaquin sat his family down in the living room. Usually, for the summer the twins and Alejandro stayed in Beverly Hills with their grandma while their parents did their own thing. Jennifer was always busy with her fashion line and Joaquin always flew to his hometown to set up a boot camp for up-and-coming football players at the local university.

"Why are we talking summer plans?" Enrique asked. "We do the same thing every year and I for one can't wait to sit by the pool every day with a new girl on my arm."

"Me too," Alejandro grinned, copying his older brother's actions.

"Stop corrupting our little brother," Evelyn grumbled.

"Children!" Jennifer groaned. "We're talking about this because things are a little different this year. Evelyn, I want you to join me and before you complain. It's not a request it's a demand."

"And Enrique, I want you to join me in Texas," Joaquin told me. "Help me host the football summer camp at the University of Texas. I know you were suspended indefinitely and I think this summer will be good for you."

"What about the deadweight?" Evelyn pointed at her younger brother who was sitting quietly on her lap.

"Alejandro will split his summer. The first half he'll be with me and Ricky," Joaquin chuckled. "The second half he'll be with you and mom."

"So this isn't really a discussion," Enrique clarified. "You guys are telling us what to do and we get no say."

Their parents shared a look. "Yes."

"Great," Evelyn sighed. "We have to get to school. Come on, Ricky."

Enrique and Evelyn had never spent a summer apart so the twins weren't exactly thrilled about spending the summer apart from each other. But, their parents were making an effort to spend more time with their kids and they didn't mind it. Even if it meant splitting their children up.

"Can't believe we're gonna be apart from each other," Enrique said. "I mean, it's not like I'm gonna miss you or anything it's just weird."

"It's okay, Enrique," Evelyn teased, wrapping her arm around him. "You can say you'll miss me. I won't tell anyone."

"Get out of my face, loser," he mumbled, pushing her away from him.

☆☆☆

After school, Evelyn and Asher had decided on a small date in her backyard. There was a team gala that night but with Asher being suspended along with Enrique it just didn't feel right attending the party without the two.

"Why are you so far away?" Evelyn questioned, staring over at her boyfriend who was sitting on a pool chair while she swam around in her pool. "Nobody's home. Except for Enrique, he's still on punishment."