homecoming

Since her birthday, Evelyn had been seriously overthinking. Asher was her friend and she felt bad about the way she went off at him but on the other hand, she didn't want anything threatening her relationship which meant ignoring the fact that her boyfriend could potentially be cheating on her. Jordan and Evelyn's relationship had just gotten back on track and she didn't want anything to ruin that.

"So, what color is your dress?" Jordan asked Evelyn as they sat in the cafe.

"I told you," she groaned. "Just wear a black suit. Don't try to match. I'm wearing my mom's dress from the '90s and it'll just look better if you wear a regular black suit."

"Okay, black suit it is," he agreed, looking over at Spencer. "Hey, yo, Spencer. Take a break. You've been working since we got here."

"I can't, man. We extra busy today," Spencer told them, walking over to a couple and serving them a homecoming-themed pizza.

"What, too corny for you?" Asher asked once Spencer walked back to them.

"No, no," Spencer denied. "Y'all just take this homecoming thing real seriously, that's all. It's just a dance."

"What, you don't have dances in Crenshaw?" Asher teased.

"No, we do. It's just not that deep," he said.

"So who are you taking to homecoming?" Evelyn asked.

"Nobody," he sighed. "I'm riding solo."

"Aww. Too many options, huh?" Jordan teased. "Don't want to break any hearts."

"Yeah, something like that," he said. "I gotta get back."

"So...Evie," JJ said. "How did Jordan ask you? Was it all romantic?"

"Mmm, romantic is a stretch," she sighed.

"Hey!" Jordan intervened defensively. "It was just your birthday. I spent all my money buying you that bracelet!"

"I was joking, mi amor," she giggled, pressing a kiss to his cheek. "He bought me my favorite flowers and then asked me. Simple...yet, effective."

"Very effective if I do say so myself," Jordan smirked, earning an eye roll from Asher.

JJ gagged dramatically. "Gross. Good thing Enrique's not here. He would kill you!"

"Hey," Layla approached Asher, walking up to the table. "Can we talk?"

"Yeah," he responded.

"That didn't look good," JJ whispered.

"Yeah," Evelyn nodded in agreement.

☆☆☆

The day of homecoming had rapidly approached and Evelyn had agreed with Liv on getting ready at the Baker house since photos were being taken there. Although, Evelyn wasn't getting ready at her house that didn't stop her dad from showing up to the Baker house to see his children off to homecoming.

"You know, your dad's down there right?" Liv asked helping straighten the last few pieces of her friend's hair.

"I know," Evelyn nodded. "Ale's here, too. They wanted to see me and Ricky before we left. Do you need help with your dress?"

"No, I'm good," she said, watching her stand up and slip her heels on. "Thanks for doing my makeup. You're amazing."

"I'll meet you downstairs!" she yelled, walking down the steps and capturing the attention of her family and Jordan.

"Wow!" Jordan breathed out. "You look beautiful, Evie."

"Thank you," she grinned running her hand up and down his chest. "You look so handsome."