cotillion

Evelyn had been compulsively training for her upcoming track meet that was rapidly approaching. Whether it was her working out at her home gym or staying late after her practices to do more drills, she was doing it. That also meant she wasn't spending much time with her friends. Specifically, Layla who had just gotten out from rehab. But, that might've been more intentional than she intended it to be.

"Evie!" Liv waved her over as soon as she stepped foot into the cafe.

"Oh, hi," she said, stepping toward the group of three that consisted of Liv, Layla, and Spencer. "I'm just here to grab a protein shake. Not here to interrupt anything."

"Evie, you're our friend," Spencer chuckled. "You're not interrupting anything."

"Yeah," Layla softly said. "Sit."

"Actually, Layla, can we talk?" she suggested. "Alone?"

"That sounds like a wonderful idea!" Liv encouraged.

Layla nodded, following her over to an empty table. "Yeah, of course."

"I'm sorry," Evelyn apologized. "For...you know, not visiting you whenever Liv went. I just couldn't."

"Can I ask why?" she questioned. "You don't have to explain yourself to me. But, can I ask?"

"I felt terrible...the night of Liv's birthday, I called you a raging bitch," Evelyn sighed, remorsefully. "But, you weren't in the right space mentally and I didn't even...notice. I thought you were just acting out and that Spencer and Liv were being overly dramatic when they were trying to get you help. I guess, in a way, I kind of felt guilty."

"No, you were right. I was being a bitch. I never got to apologize for what I said that night either. We were both pretty out of line," Layla said. "But, I'm over it, and you have nothing to feel guilty about. I refused their help and tried to act like nothing was wrong with me. I'm sorry, too."

She lifted her eyebrow up, staring intently at her. "Friends?"

"Of course," Layla grinned.

"There is one more thing..." she trailed off.

"You're dating Asher. I know," Layla chuckled. "I still have Instagram. I saw Asher's post from a couple of nights ago about you two. And I think I speak for everyone when I say, we all saw it coming."

"Oh, thank God," Evelyn breathed out. "I'm kind of stupid for thinking that you wouldn't see that."

"Yeah, Evie," Layla giggled. "I saw it."

☆☆☆

"This is so weird."

Evelyn had temporarily taken her brother's place seeing as he had flaked on Liv for the thousandth time for her dance rehearsal. The two girls were face to face...or in Evelyn's case due to her height, face to boobs, as they danced.

"Yeah, your face is literally near my boobs," Liv scoffed. "I hate your stupid twin brother."

"Me too," she agreed. "Sorry. If I knew he'd flake so much I wouldn't have suggested for you two to be partners."

Olivia let out a slight scoff. "Let's just sit."

"You okay?" Spencer asked as he and Kia joined the two girls on the bench. "Look, I can dance with you again. You know, if you need someone taller. Or there's always Mrs. Philpott."

"Yeah, she's too handsy," Liv said, looking at the dance instructor. "And Evie's a great partner she's just not Enrique."

"I'm sure he has a good reason for bailing," Kia added.