(05) Crash course

Marcus was in his room getting a little bit of rest after a long day's work

Marcus was in his room getting a little bit of rest after a long day's work. He thought about his fa-Stark, about Stark and decided to try and be civil with him to make his work easier.

There is suddenly a knock at the door, startling Marcus out of his thoughts, "Who is it?" He calls out.

"It's Steve" The voice he now knows belongs to Steve answers on the other side.

Marcus, who was now in his red and black suit, walked to the door and opened it.

The mercenary walked out of the room and shut the door behind him, as he and Steve started walking down one of the many hallways on the Helicarrier.

"So what's life been like coming out of the ice?" Marcus asked trying to make conversation.

Steve nervously chuckles "Uhh strange to say the least. The world's changed a lot since I was last awake." He answered thinking back to his days in the 40's.

Marcus nodded, "I suppose it has BUT the more things change, the more they stay the same." He points out to Steve.

"What do you mean?" Steve asks him confused at what he was trying to say.

"The world around might have changed but the people most certainly have not. I'm sure you'll get the grasp of that eventually" The Merc says and those words stick with Steve.

"Hopefully, it's been really difficult to adjust to all the technology and everything. I feel a little out of my depth, even being on board here feels odd." Steve admits to Marcus feeling a little embarrassed.

"Don't worry Cap, I can literally give you a crash course of what you've missed." Marcus said wanting to help whilst smiling goofily.

The pair entered the lab that Tony and Bruce were in to see the former jabbing the latter in the side with a miniature electrical prod causing a small yelp of pain from Bruce.

Steve looked thoroughly pissed at Tony "Hey! Are you nuts!?" He asked angrily at the genius.

"Banner's got a real lid on it, I kind of have to respect the way he does it" Marcus said as he took a seat in a revolving chair.

Tony ignored Cap and carried out talking, "But hat's your secret Banner? Mellow jazz? Bongo drums? Huge bag of weed?" He asked.

"Is everything a joke to you!?" Steve angrily asked Tony.

"Funny things." Marcus said and Tony glanced at him briefly surprised with the fact that he actually spoke to him.

Steve shook his head at the Mercenary, "Threatening the safety of everyone on this ship isn't funny." He then turns to Bruce still holding a harsh expression "No offence Bruce." He apologies.

"None taken, I wouldn't have come aboard if I couldn't handle pointy things." Bruce informes looking down, trying not to show that what he said hurt his feelings a bit.

Marcus grabbed his swords off his back and jokingly thrusted them at Bruce who didn't react, "Yep, he can definitely handle pointy things." he said jokingly.

Steve gave him a 'stop right now' look and Marcus put his swords back in the holder whilst holding the 'kicked puppy' look on his face.

Tony looks at Bruce "You're tiptoeing big man, you need to strut." He says whilst doing a small demonstration.

"I always strut and look at me vroom, living my best life" Marcus does an arm thrust and poses dramatically.

"You need to focus on the problem, Mr Stark" Captain America warned clearly sick of Tony's behaviour.

Stark looks offended by what Cap has said to him, "You think I'm not? Why did Fury call us and why now? Why not before? What isn't he telling us? I can't do the equation unless I have all the variables." He questions clearly suspicious of the Director.

Steve thinks about what Tony is saying, "You think Fury's hiding something?" He asked for confirmation clearly confused.

Tony chuckles a little, "He's a spy. Captain, he's the spy. His secrets have secrets." He then points to Bruce, "It's bugging him too, isn't it?" He asks him, hoping to get him on his side.

Bruce looks anxious to get himself involved in Cap and Tony's argument however Marcus Interjects, "Might as well lay all your cards on the table now, Green day." He said shrugging.

Bruce sighed deciding to let his opinion be known, "A warm for light for all of mankind, Loki's jab at Fury about the cube" Bruce explained, Steve was the only one who heard Fury confronting Loki, "I think it was a dig at you" Bruce pointed to Tony, "Even if Barton didn't post that all over the news."

"The Stark Tower?" Steve says with a slightly disgusted look on his face

"Don't say it Rogers, don't say it" The Merc whispered to himself knowing what's going to happen.

"You mean that big ugly," Tony gives him an irritated look however he continues anyways looking at Tony whilst he says it, "building in New York?" He asks.

Marcus facepalms with a smirk, "He said it." He whispered.

Banner explains the science explanation about Stark Tower, "It's powered by Stark Reactors, self- sustaining energy source. That building will run itself for what, a year?" He asks the Stark.

Tony brags slightly to the others, "That's just the prototype. I'm kind of the only name in clean energy right now." He explained with a cocky smile on his face.

Banner then points to Tony, "So, why didn't SHIELD bring him in on the Tesseract project? I mean, what are they doing in the energy business in the first place?"

943 words
__________________________________