(06) The Argument

Marcus looked between the three, "I think Loki's trying to wind us up

Marcus looked between the three, "I think Loki's trying to wind us up. This is a man who means to start a war, and if don't stay focused, he'll succeed. I prefer a straight up fight, rather get down to blood and bones of it." He said as Bruce grimaced a little at the thought.

"We don't need to get into a fight if we can avoid it." Steve looked to the Mercenary for back up.

Marcus did kind of an 'eh' expression, "Steve we." he pointed to himself and Steve, "Are not here to help the modern day Einsteins. We're here for the inevitability of a fight." He explains to the captain.

Steve quietened down after that, Marcus was right. He was a super soldier, the reason he was here was all in his title.

Tony then attempted to rub salt in the wound which made the situation worse, "Of the people in this room, which one is; A. wearing a spangly outfit, and B. not of use?" He taunted.

Steve did look offended by that as Tony smirked knowing he'd succeeded in what he wanted to achieve.

Marcus and Bruce looked at both Steve and Tony who were glaring at each other before Bruce spoke, "Steve, remember what you told Natasha. Whatever issues you have, put it to the side" he said trying to defuse the argument.

Steve realised his own words were being used against him, "Just find the Cube." He then turned and walked out of the lab.

Tony looked at Marcus and sighed, "Hey, uh can we talk?" He asked nervously.

Marcus looked at Tony with a blank face, "There's nothing to talk about Stark." He said coldly and walked out the room.

Tony stared at the door where Marcus left remembering when he first learned of him...

A woman walks into Stark Tower at night with a blank look on her face holding a crying baby wrapped in a thin blue blanket in her arms. She goes up to the security guard called Happy and he remembers her as Tony's ex girlfriend Eryn and hasn't seen her after she ended the relationship a year ago after finding out Tony cheated on her with a reporter. She motionlessly asks for Tony Stark and Happy lets her up. Happy asks Jarvis to tell Tony to come to the main floor.

"What are you doing here and with a baby?" Tony asks with a glare.

"This is your son, I don't want him since he's related to you, you cheating bastard!" She shouted at him causing the baby to cry even more.

"What makes you think I would even want it! I have a job and I can't be seen with a child it would ruin my reputation." now Get out of my Tower and never come near me again!" Tony shouted at Eryn, turning and walking back down to his lab shouting at Jarvis to tell Happy to get rid of Eryn and the baby.

"You're seriously choosing your career over your own child!" The woman said in disbelief.

"Yes!  Now Get out of my Tower and never come near me again!" Tony shouted at Eryn, turning and walking back down to his lab shouting at Jarvis to tell Happy to get rid of Eryn and the baby.

Eryn started shouting and calling Tony every name she could think of as Happy came  to take them out of the tower, "He's so obsessed with himself I can't believe I even thought he would want a child." she said angrily to Happy.

As Eryn walked down the dark street away from Stark tower with her screaming baby in still in her arms with a angry look on her face as she is now stuck with a child she didn't want.

As she is walking she sees a man in a expensive suit walking towards her.

"Can I help you?" She asks the man in a annoyed tone.

The man smirked, "yes I think you could." He said and put a briefcase on a nearby table and opened it showing her that it was  full of money.

The man handed her a card that had a picture of a red octopus looking stamp on the back and read what was on it.

Eryn looked shocked for a moment about what was written on the card, then slowly a smirk came onto her face......

Tony looked down and sighed, "I don't know what to do Bruce." he said sadly and Bruce patted his back in sympathy.

___________________________________

Natasha was in the area that Loki was being held interrogating him of his plans, "What have you done with Agent Barton's mind?" She asked the God.

Loki says as if it is obvious, "I'd say I've expanded his mind" opening his arms wide to accentuate his point.

Natasha slowly approaches Loki's holding cell, "And when you're king of the mountain, what happens to his mind?" She asked.

Loki smirks enjoying the direction this is going in, "Is this love Agent Romanoff?" He teases.

"Love is for Children, I owe him a debt." She nonchalantly replies.

Loki walks backwards and invites Natasha to tell him her tale as he sits down on a small seat inside his cage.

"Before I worked for S.H.I.E.L.D." Natasha pulls up a seat and sitting down before continuing, "I uh........ well, I made a name for myself. I have a very specific skill set. I didn't care who I used it for, or on. I got on SHIELD's radar in a bad way. Agent Barton was sent to kill me, he made a different call." She explained to the trickster.

Loki laughs to himself confusing Natasha, "What's so funny?" She asks standing up.

"You remind me of someone." Loki says as cups his face in his hands.

"And who might that be?" She asks leaning on the nearby railing.

He takes a minute and then stares at Natasha with a disturbing grin, "The facetious mercenary." he replied

Natasha doesn't quite understand at first before her eyes light up in realisation as to who Loki is talking about, "Marcus?"

Loki pouts a little, "Oh don't look so surprised Agent Romanoff." He stands up and takes small strides towards the redhead, "Certainly you may not share his indecorous sense of humour but you and he are not so different............ And that eats you up doesn't it?" He teases with a forbidding smile.

There's a prang of pain in the Black Widow's chest, "I've changed from who I was." She defends confidently to the God of Mischief keeping up her strong facade.

"Enlighten me, what are you now." Loki queries the agent.

"It's not that complicated really." She approaches the God of Mischief further, "I have red in my ledger I'd like to wipe it out." She explains.

"Your ledger is tainted red, it's impossible to remove that much red and it's pathetic to see you try........... Barton told me everything there is to know about you........ Everything" Loki said trying to get the upper hand.

"What are you planning?" She straight up asks the trickster wanting to evade the possibility of diving any deeper into her past.

"Haha, why would I tell you that? I thought you were supposed to be the great Black Widow, the master spy." He turns away to sit back in his seat, "What a disappointment." he says.

Natasha was furious with herself, she turned out of the holding area.

"A pleasure talking with you Agent Romanoff." Loki taunted as she left.

Natasha headed back to report to Fury that she hadn't found any new information.

Unbeknownst to her someone else had sneaked in before they closed.

___________________________________
834 Words