9│A NEW PERSPECTIVE

People think that humanity lasts forever.

Or, at least, past their generation.

Humans are generally wrong about these things.

***
 𝐇𝐄𝐑𝐄 𝐈𝐒 𝐀 𝐒𝐌𝐀𝐋𝐋 𝐅𝐀𝐂𝐓 ***

Dolores is a mistake.

Before we broach this truth, we must first deal with the lies. Humanity was never intended to last until the end of time; people come and go as do civilizations and species. As much as they set themselves apart, humans are just one of the many creatures that pass through the universe.

(Many will be upset or angered by this.)

Each generation will think 'not me' and allow the next one to deal with the consequences made by the previous. Soon, they will pile up until the damage is irreparable.

Finally, despite human's efforts to be infallible, people are generally— and often— wrong about many things. Not all of them admit to this fault, of course, but the truth is there even if they do not wish to see it.

*** 
𝐑𝐄𝐀𝐂𝐓𝐈𝐎𝐍 𝐓𝐎 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐀𝐅𝐎𝐑𝐄𝐌𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐈𝐎𝐍𝐄𝐃 𝐅𝐀𝐂𝐓 ***

This statement might make you confused.
How is a young girl a mistake?
This will be explained.

You may know of my distaste for survivors. I assure you, my emotions about these things have not influenced this fact. Let me take a step back; perhaps that will convince you of my innocence in the previously mentioned truth.

A new perspective is needed.

The girl— Dolores— was never meant to be a girl. She was, instead, meant to be brought to life by a boy in desperate need of companionship, a figure in his own mind for no one else to see. Somehow, the events lined up differently than they were supposed to and a real Dolores was born.

This is what I have been saying: humans make mistakes. Some large, some small, some positive and some negative. I have been there to see them all for I persist even when life is gone.

Time is a funny thing when you are not a part of it.

I apologize; I have misspoken.

Time is a funny thing when you and it are one.

Still, that is not quite right. I am not time and time is not me, yet we are very nearly the same being. So close, in fact, that one might mistake us for the other; this is easily understood and forgiven.

You're out of time.

It was his time to go.

These phrases are what blur the lines and confuse those easily befuddled. When you live in a family with death and time, it is easier to tell them apart.

***
 𝐀 𝐒𝐌𝐀𝐋𝐋 𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐎𝐑𝐘 ***

Time passes quickly. Too quickly, in some opinions. They procrastinate and delay, thinking they have a surplus when really it is only a fixed amount. What makes them do this, I wonder? Humans live for life; that is a simple thing. I have found it terribly difficult to convince some of them to let go. Perhaps this is because some humans believe that they can conquer what they cannot see.

Where was I? Dolores, that's right. A strange girl, especially for one that wasn't supposed to exist. After leaving the last known living human, she believed she was destined to live alone for the rest of her life. This in itself is not a terrible concept— at least for me, as it is what I have always done— but for her, there could have been nothing worse. It is a good thing that the upcoming series of events changes this.

Now, the boy.

The week of their separation made him think quite a lot of things. More so than he usually did, in fact. As he scratched out numbers and symbols in his dead sister's book, his mind darted towards and away from the strange dark-haired girl like a silver fish swimming against a current. He didn't want to think about her; he had more important tasks such as getting home.

But not even the most stubborn person in the world can change fate. No matter what timeline or events that occur, Dolores will always, always, meet Number Five even if the circumstances are never the quite the same.

There were quite a few complex topics discussed but here is what this story boils down to:

✧A girl
✧A boy
✧Some time-traveling
✧A dysfunctional family
✧An organization obsessed with the space-time continuum
✧And an apocalypse