22│I'M HIGH ON BELIEVIN'

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

❛ ᴡᴀsᴛᴇʟᴀɴᴅs ᴏғ ᴛɪᴍᴇ​​​​​​​​​​. ❜ ° . ༄
- ͙۪۪˚   ▎❛ 𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘-𝐓𝐖𝐎 ❜   ▎˚ ͙۪۪̥◌
»»————- ꒰ ɪ'ᴍ ʜɪɢʜ ᴏɴ ʙᴇʟɪᴇᴠɪɴ'
( ᴛʜᴀᴛ ʏᴏᴜ'ʀᴇ ɪɴ ʟᴏᴠᴇ ᴡɪᴛʜ ᴍᴇ ) ꒱

❝ IT TURNS OUT THE WINE
CELLAR WAS UNTOUCHED.
PICKED UP A FEW CASES OF
YOUR FAVORITE BORDEAUX 
— Five, The Umbrella Academy

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

[2 (more) years later]
Approximate age: 21

"'Alouette, gentille alouette, Alouette, je te plumeria, Je te plumerai la tête, Je te plumerai la tête Et la tête! Et la tête! Alouette, Alouette! Oh, oh, oh, oh,'" Lola sang the French words as she pulled the wagon behind her. She had no idea how the song got stuck in her head but it was there now and she had to sing it or else she'd go nuts. "'Alouette, gentille alouette, alouette, je te plumeria, je te plumerai le bec, je te plumerai le bec, et le bec! Et le bec! Et la tête! Et la tête! Alouette! Alouette! Oh, oh, oh, oh.'"

Next to her, Five gave her a surprised look. "You sing that quite fluently. Do you speak French?"

Lola laughed. "That's all I know of French. My mom took it in high school and learned the song which she sometimes sung while cleaning the house. I barely speak Spanish."

"But you do speak Spanish?"

"Nah, not really. It was only rudimentary and there's only one thing that I remember from freshman year, which is this: ¡ay, caramba! ¡Cuando arreglan me quarto no encuantro nada! ¡Mama, Tia Louisa! ¡Como gritas, hijo! ¡No estamos sordas! ¿Donde estas mis cosas? Todo esta en su lugar¹. Spanish two, lesson thirteen." She finished, "and that's all I know."

"You do know Alouette is about plucking the feathers off a lark, right?"

The brunette grimaced slightly. "Really? I had no idea. Like I said, that's all I know of French. I can't even translate the song." She caught his pleased expression. "What?"

"I know more languages than you," he said, his voice slightly sing-song.

Lola rolled her eyes, unimpressed. "I'm not surprised since you're a genius."

"You think I'm a genius?"

The girl turned to him with a flat look. "Fives, you are a genius. I don't have to think it for that to be true."

"But you do think I'm a genius?" he pressed.

She blinked, confused. "Uh, didn't I just say that?"

"You could say it again," he suggested, trying not to feel too pleased about her compliment (it was true, after all).

"I don't need to inflate your ego anymore, idiot. Besides, it's not like that's the first time I've said it. Anyway how many languages do you know?"

"Seven," he announced proudly.

Lola's feet stilled and she turned to look at him with shock. "Seven? Fluently?"

"Yep."

"Way to be an overachiever and make me look bad," she huffed as she resumed walking.

"It's not like I had a choice," Five reminded her, "my. . . father always had a high bar for me and my siblings. Even if we didn't want to learn the languages, we still had to."