17│NO PLACE LIKE HOME

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

❛ ᴡᴀsᴛᴇʟᴀɴᴅs ᴏғ ᴛɪᴍᴇ​​​​​​​​​​. ❜ ° . ༄
- ͙۪۪˚   ▎❛ 𝐒𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍 ❜   ▎˚ ͙۪۪̥◌
»»————- ꒰ ɴᴏ ᴘʟᴀᴄᴇ ʟɪᴋᴇ ʜᴏᴍᴇ ꒱

❝ WHO THE HELL ARE
THESE ASSHOLES?

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐌𝐄𝐀𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐎𝐅 𝐀 𝐍𝐀𝐌𝐄
Dolores [ duh-lawr-is, -lohr- ], noun
Known nicknames: Lola, Dolly, Dol, Sequins

1. a female given name: from a Latin word meaning "sorrows."

Five felt the weight of his wife slump against him before he realized what was happening. He turned quickly as the sound of bullets rang in his ears, half-stunned that none of them had reached him. He caught the brunette as she tilted forward and he sank to the ground with her before he rolled the girl gently onto her back so he could study her face.

There was nothing immediately wrong with her except that her skin looked slightly paler than normal and her eyes were closed. A warm substance seeped into the fabric of his pants and the boy lifted her slightly as he looked down curiously at the smeared liquid. He gingerly used two fingers to touch one of the dark spots only for them to come away red.

His breath caught in his throat.

(𝐓𝐇𝐄) 𝐅𝐈𝐕𝐄('𝐒) 𝐒𝐓𝐀𝐆𝐄𝐒 𝐎𝐅 𝐆𝐑𝐈𝐄𝐅

1. Discovery
2. Denial
3. Compromise
4. Action
5. Relief

Dolores' eyes were closed and her face was too still. It wasn't sleep— he knew this expression all too well; he had seen it first on his siblings' faces that day he'd discovered them outside the broken ruins of the place he'd once called home— but he'd never seen the look on Dolores' face.

She couldn't— there was no way.

Still, he had to prevent his world from spinning off its axis and in a last, desperate attempt, he childishly grabbed her by her shirt and gave her just the slightest disbelieving shake. "Wake up, Dolly." He was deaf to The Handler's and Lila's conversation happening in the middle of the barn. "Dolly, please."

She couldn't— it was impossible.

"Dolly, please, wake up. Goddamn it, wake up. I love you. Come on, Dolly, come on, don't you know I love you? Wake up, wake up, wake up. . . come on, open your eyes—"

Five didn't know what he'd do without her. For years and years, she'd been a part of his world, the center of his existence, the focal point that he revolved around. She was rooted in his soul as much a part of him as his powers were.

For all his efforts, though, there was no change to her expression. Her eyes remained shut and her body was still in his arms. It was in that moment that he promised— no, he swore— that he'd do anything, strike any bargain, come to any agreement just to have her open her eyes and have this whole thing be one of her ridiculous jokes.

In a last-ditch attempt, instinct kicked in and the boy leaned down to look at her lifeless face before he kissed her soft and true on her lips. She tasted dusty and sweet. She tasted like regret and a life too long-lived. He kissed her long and soft and when he pulled himself away, he touched her mouth with his fingers. He caught sight of his hands and was surprised with how they trembled in front of him.

𝐀 𝐑𝐄𝐌𝐈𝐍𝐃𝐄𝐑 𝐎𝐅
𝐀𝐅𝐎𝐑𝐌𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐈𝐎𝐍𝐄𝐃 𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐒