8│OUT OF SIGHT, OUT OF MIND

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

❛ ᴡᴀsᴛᴇʟᴀɴᴅs ᴏғ ᴛɪᴍᴇ​​​​​​​​​​. ❜ ° . ༄
- ͙۪۪˚   ▎❛ 𝐄𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓 ❜   ▎˚ ͙۪۪̥◌
»»————- ꒰ ᴏᴜᴛ ᴏғ sɪɢʜᴛ,
ᴏᴜᴛ ᴏғ ᴍɪɴᴅ ꒱

❝ YOU ALSO HATE FUN? ❞

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

"What, so all the people on the street just disappeared?" Allison asked as she poured herself another glass of Vodka. Dolores held out her own and the brunette filled it for her.

Stan had finally lost control of his own pool stick and had broken a vase, which prompted Diego to pull him aside to reprimand him. Now that she didn't have a distraction, Dolores was reluctantly listening to the Hargreeves. Luther— who had just returned from being kidnapped— was explaining what had happened on his way home. "Well, no. Not all of them. Just. . . half of them."

"So. . . like Thanos' snap?" When she received blank looks, Dolores elaborated: "like in the Marvel comics?" Still nothing.

"What are you talking about?" Viktor asked.

She sighed. "He's a mad Titan from the Infinity Saga. He wants to bring balance to the universe by wiping out half the population."

"I don't know about the balance part but that definitely sounds like what happened just now," Luther admitted. "Do your comics include more than just people? Like, everything that lived in the universe?"

"Five did say that animals were disappearing."

"It's definitely the people," Dolores replied. "I'd imagine that it included all life."

Viktor glanced at his sister. "Marcus was supposed to meet up with us earlier but he never showed."

"What, you think this grandfather thing ate Marcus?"

Dolores' eyes widened. Her mind immediately recalled her conversation with her uncle: your family doesn't belong here. Nor do you, for that matter. When things are in places that they don't belong, consequences happen. In this instance, it's the grandfather of all repercussions.

"Wait," the teen interrupted them. "Grandfather? What are you talking about?"

"Well, if you hadn't been goofing off with a twelve-year-old you might know what we're talking about," Allison retorted.

Her own tone was sharp as she replied: "sorry that I'm actually trying to enjoy my retirement. In case you hadn't noticed, I'm not a superhero like the rest of you lot."

"Oh, we've noticed. I'm surprised you weren't the one that got kidnapped."

She remained unaffected by the third Hargreeves' response. "If I had, then maybe I would've had the wherewithal to tell the Sparrow psychopaths that we didn't take their Number One."

The other woman's expression fell at that realization. "We'll never get the briefcase back."

In an effort to prevent the pair from arguing further, Viktor-the-peacemaker stepped forward with his hands raised placatingly. "Okay. What if we just told the truth? Marcus is gone and maybe we're partially responsible."

"That'll go well," his sister scoffed. "They'll throw us a party."

Luther— whose impression of the Sparrows had drastically changed— looked into the distance with a dreamy expression. "I bet they throw fantastic parties."

"Listen," Viktor began in an effort to return to his point. "Marcus was ready to give us back the briefcase. If the rest of his family are even half as open-minded, you know, maybe we can come to some kind of agreement and get it back."