❣️Show me the Stars • Diavolo❣️

Summary
MC is feeling lonely late in the night and is surprised when Diavolo picks up their call. They idly discuss loneliness, flight, and mischief.
. . .
Written in 3rd person with They/Them pronouns and "MC" as placeholder name.

***

That night, loneliness washed over MC like a chilling ocean wave.

They laid in bed, sleepless despite the late hour. They tossed and turned, attempting to wrap themself in blankets and hug their pillow in a way that brought some amount of comfort.

It was hopeless.

The second option was their phone, which they'd been checking and refreshing for new messages.

Still none.

They scrolled through their contacts, then back up again. Through their tired daze, they mis-clicked and tapped on Dia's contact picture.

The dull ring of an awaiting call filled the empty space in their room, and they didn't process it until they heard that Diavolo had picked up.

"Why hello MC!" The demon lord excitedly greeted. "I recognized who called because I set your ringtone to a waltz piece that reminded me of you! I was so delighted to hear it!"

MC froze at the shock of hearing another being's voice coming out of their DDD in the middle of the night. It clicked in their mind that 1., The voice belonged to Lord Diavolo, and 2., they probably had just woken the Prince of Hell up. "Diavolo-! Shit- I'm sorry, I didn't mean to call and-"

"...You didn't?" Dia's voice suddenly became small and quiet, his disappointment loud and clear.

They quickly tried to retract the statement out of guilt. "No- I mean- Yeah! I mean, it's not that I don't want to call you-" they took a deep breath, recollecting themself and channeling their literacy. "I just didn't mean to wake you up. I'm sorry. And if Lucifer finds out-"

"Lucifer doesn't have to know," Diavolo lightly chuckled. "And besides, I was already up. Preoccupied with work and all. But what about you? Why aren't you asleep?"

The human was quiet, staring at their bedsheets as if it would help them come up with some explanation to provide. "I guess I'm just feeling restless. And a little alone."

Diavolo thoughtfully hummed. "I can relate to that," was his soft reply. "You know, I could always pay a visit if you'd like the company."

"What?" MC blankly said, needing a moment to process what they'd heard. "Oh no, no!" They hurriedly exclaimed. They'd already disturbed him from work, they didn't want to ask any more of him. "It's too late in the night for that. I just wanted to talk to you. To someone." they rambled on with a tired little laugh.

In their heart, they did wish Dia would come over to talk, even though it was so late. They wished they could hear his voice in person rather than through a cold cellphone. They wished they didn't feel heavy emptiness in their chest before sleep whisked them away.

"Well if you change your mind let me know! I could even fly over! Haha!" Dia chuckled at himself as though he'd told a joke, then light-heartedly sighed. "No, Barbatos would never let me fly."

"...Why not?" Mc pondered, closing their eyes to imagine Dia sitting beside them as he spoke. "If you can't fly, what are your wings for?"