CHAPTER 5

"Stop thinking about it, Liz. You have nothing to worry about. Now, why did you come to look for me?" she asks, and it takes me a minute to remember why.

"I was hoping I could borrow your phone. I need to call my Mom," I say, remembering the reason I came to look for her.

"Oh, no problem, here," she says, handing me her phone from her back pocket.

I'm surprised she gave it to me without hesitation. I thought she'd ask why I came to her and not the Alpha. I was worried he might've told everyone not to give me access to their phones. I guess he's not as bright as I thought. If he wanted to isolate me from my old pack, he would've told everyone not to give me a phone.

"Thank you," I say, taking it and quickly dialing Mom's number. It rings for a few seconds before she answers.

"Hi, Mom, it's me, Liz. How are you?" I ask.

"My baby girl! Is it really you? How are you? I hope you're not hurt or injured?"

"I'm okay, Mom. I'm not harmed or injured in any way."

"Thank God. When are you coming back? Our Alpha said you're in our Alpha King's territory. How did you end up there? I hope they're treating you well?"

"They are treating me well. I was attacked by rogues. The Alpha King saved me and brought me back to his territory. About when I'm coming back, I don't know. But I'll ask the Alpha King to allow you to visit me if I can't visit you."

"Oh my God! You were attacked by rogues? But you're fine? And why wouldn't the Alpha King let you to come back home? Why would I need to come and visit you?"

"Mom, I'm doing fine. I've fully recovered from the attack. And about coming home and the Alpha King..." I hesitate because once I say it, I know I'm not going to like her reaction. "He's my mate"

I hear Mom's breath catch in her throat. She doesn't say anything for a good minute before asking me the one question I know she won't like my answer to.

"Have you rejected him as I told you to?"

Now it's my turn to pause before I answer.

"No, I haven't," I say, waiting for the storm to arrive.

"Why? I told you how important it is for you to reject him."

"Actually, Mom, you didn't. You just told me I need to reject him for my own safety. I've been here for a month, and nothing's happened to me, so I don't see why I have to reject him."

"You have to reject him. It's better you don't know why and just do it."

"Mom, I can't. I can't reject him when you won't explain why he's dangerous to me." I don't want to fight with her, but I deserve a good explanation of why I should reject him.

"I can't tell you."

"Then I won't do it."

"Elizabeth, I'm your mother and if I tell you to do something, you should do it. I don't have to explain why to you."

"Mom, I can't. I have to go now. The owner of this phone needs it back." I lie because I don't want to keep fighting with her.

"We will be continuing this discussion another time. Goodbye, my dear. Take care of yourself. I love you."

"Bye, Mom. I love you too," I say and hang up the phone.

***

"Do you think your mom wants you to reject your mate because of the Alpha King's reputation?" Ana asks.

"No, I doubt that. She's told me to reject my mate no matter who he is."

"Oh, I wonder why she wants you to reject your mate," Ana pondered.