CHAPTER 14

The following day, I woke up to find myself in my bed. How did I get here? I don't remember walking home. I can smell Nate's scent around me. He must've brought me home. I drop my legs on the floor to walk to the bathroom but stop when I feel a burn in my arms. It doesn't stop there and gets worse. My whole body is on fire.

I prayed this wouldn't happen, but it's here because Nate refuses to mark me even though I have found him. I fall to the ground, pulling at my skin to stop the burning feeling. Everywhere is on fire—my arms, my legs, even my heart is burning. I scream as I feel the pain increase with each passing second. I'm being burnt alive.

"Nate, please! Make it go away!" I beg him as he barges into my room. He must've heard me screaming. All he does is stare at me. He doesn't move until another scream involuntarily escapes my mouth. He takes a step closer but stops, turns around and walks out of my room.

I know Nate doesn't want me, but how can he leave me in this state?

A few minutes after he leaves, Ana and Chloe arrive.

"How bad is it?" Ana asks worriedly.

"Bad, Ana, very bad," I say, tears flowing down my face. The tears make my face burn more. The second anything touches my body, the heat makes it burn. It feels like pouring hot water on burnt skin.

"Help me carry her into the bathroom," Ana says to Chloe.

"Do you think we can touch her?" Chloe says, tears in her eyes.

"You're right. We can't. Only Nate can. Quickly call him."

"Okay," Chloe says and runs out of the room.

She comes back a second later with Nate.

I look at him and use my eyes to plead with him to make it go away. He's the only one who can end my suffering. He avoids my eyes even as he lifts me off the ground. The minute my body feels his touch, I feel the burning reduce. He tries to place me in the bathtub, but I refuse. If he lets go of me, I'll burn again. I need his touch. But Nate forcefully removes my hold and harshly places me into the tub.

Ana runs in with ice cubes and fills the bathtub with them. The ice cubes help the heat reduce a little, but nothing is as good as my mate's touch.

"Please hold me, Nate, just hold me. I'm not asking you to mark me. Just to hold me," I beg, grabbing his hand before he walks out.

He pulls my hand from his arm, ignores me and walks out of the bathroom. I can't believe Nate won't even hold me with as much pain I'm going through.

I know he doesn't want me as a mate. But now I believe he hates me. Now, I hate him too. If my enemy was going through this, I would help them. The pain I'm feeling is inhuman. What makes it worse is that he feels my discomfort because he stands in the room but still chooses to ignore me. He's essentially sentencing me to torture.

***

A week has gone by since my heat. I survived the three days of torture thanks to Ana and Chloe. They made sure the water in the bathtub was never warm. I feel bad for the stress I caused them, but they reassured me that as my friends, they were glad to help. I'm so lucky to have them in my life.

I'm in the gardens with Ana, and I have a lot on my mind. I'm thinking about my mother. And the pain Nate caused me during my heat is still fresh in my brain. However, it helped me realize something.

Nate hates me and will never want to be with me. So, I have decided to leave him. And this time, I'll make sure I'm not found. I don't know how I'll leave or guarantee I'm not found. I only know I don't want to be here anymore—I can't be here anymore.