CHAPTER 30

The following morning, Mason and I go outside for his vampire test. I don't know if I want to be a vampire or not. It'll explain why I can mask my scent and what happened that day with Lucas. He said he smelled a vampire when I hid my scent.

"Mask your scent," Mason says as we stand at the entrance of a cave. We came to the cave at dawn just before the sun rose.

"Done," I say after I do it.

"Put your finger out."

I do as he says, and I wait for the burn to come, but it doesn't. I close my eyes to numb any pain if it comes. I slowly open my eyes to see why I didn't burn. My finger is glittering. I'm blown away.

"I'm like Edward right now," I say, grinning, thinking about the Twilight books. The author did an excellent job in a lot of things regarding the supernatural.

I walk out of the cave, still masking my scent, and bathe my body under the sun.

"You look magnificent," Mason says, smiling.

"I know. Did your daughter also glitter under the sun?"

"Yes, she did. I didn't want to tell you that's what happens, so you'd be surprised when you saw it."

"Does this really mean I'm part vampire?" I ask, walking back inside the cave.

"Yes."

"I can't believe it," I say, taking a seat on a rock in the cave. It was nice seeing my body glitter under the sun, but not because I'm part vampire.

"I understand how you feel."

"What do I do now?" I ask Mason because I can't answer that question myself.

I have a million thoughts going through my head. I don't know if me being a hybrid puts my life in danger or not. Both kinds don't like each other and would probably fight to have me.

I can walk in the sun the same way Originals can. I can mask my scent to make me undetectable as a werewolf. They might want to turn me into a lab rat. I must never tell anyone about this. I hope Mason doesn't. His daughter is a hybrid, so hopefully he understands. She must not be with him because he's keeping her somewhere safe. I can't imagine if word got out about this.

"Never tell anyone what you really are,." he whispers adamantly.

"I won't, and thank you."

"For what?"

"For keeping my secret."

"Anything for someone special like my little girl," Mason says with a soft smile. I'm truly blessed to have run into someone as great as Mason.

Later that night, Mason leaves to work with the hope of getting me a worker's ID so I can go in and see Mom. I want to go in first to check out the place before I plan how I'll rescue her. I can't help but wonder if she was kidnapped because of me.

Mason told me she's the vampire king's special prisoner. He doesn't allow werewolves to live more than a week in his prisons, but he's allowed Mom to live for months. I hope I'm wrong, and he kidnapped her for another reason.

I also think about Nate. I wonder how he's doing. I wonder if he's alive. I hope he's alive. I don't think I can live in this world without him in it. Once I find Mom, I plan to look for him. I hope he's doing well and not injured or in the hands of horrible people wherever he.

The following night, Mason and I set off to the castle. He was able to get me a worker's ID. We were worried the palace might not hire me as they weren't looking for a new worker. I'm lucky someone quit last night, so a spot became open. The castle is deeply rooted in the woods. Mason tells me only a few selected vampires are allowed there. The vampire king, Nickolas, is very private about his life. If a vampire has an issue, they report it to the council. The king only deals with matters that purely need his involvement.