CHAPTER 10

I hear the door open as Ana walks inside her guestroom. When I ran away from the house, I thought about crying outside, but I couldn't bear the shame of someone seeing me cry so I ran to Ana's house. She sets the tray in her hand on the bedside table and takes a seat beside me. I don't think I've moved since I laid down, crying. I finally stopped when my body had no more tears to give.

"How are you feeling?" she asks, concerned.

"Better. Thank you."

"That's good. Why are you thanking me?"

"It's been hours since I came to your door crying like a baby, and you haven't asked me why. Thank you for not pushing me to tell you what's wrong. And for letting me to cry my heart out in your guestroom." I arrived around noon and if my guess is right, it should be dark outside now. I can't really tell because the blinds are down.

"Sometimes it's better to let people come to you with their problems than forcing them to tell you. Even if you want to know so you can help."

"Is it okay if I spend the night? I don't think I can see or smell Nate for a while." Even if I go home and don't see him, the whole house has his scent.

"Yes of course. You're welcome to stay as long as you like."

"Thank you."

"You're welcome. Let me get you some clean clothes. I'll be back shortly," Ana says, and walks out.

I sit up to pick up the glass of water from the tray Ana brought and I hear voices outside the door.

"Has she stopped crying?" Dan whispers to Ana, but I can still hear.

"Yes, she has," Ana replies.

"That's good. When will she be leaving? Alpha will be leaving his office soon and I'm sure it'd be best if she goes home before him."

"She's staying the night."

"She's what?" Dan whisper-yells.

"She asked if she could stay the night and I said yes."

"Why would you say yes?"

"Because she needs some time away from the Alpha."

"I know that. But you know how possessive the Alpha is. If he goes home and doesn't see her, he'll eat us alive."

"I know how possessive he is and that's why she needs time away from him."

"Hmm, I don't know what to do," Dan says.

"You don't have to do anything. Just support me against the Alpha when the time comes."

"Of course, I'll support you—even though he can kill us both in a blink of an eye. I'll always stand by your side."

"I know. That's why I love you."

"I love you, too," Dan says. I think I hear him kissing her, then both of them taking air. I wish I didn't have to put them through such trouble, but right now I don't want to be anywhere near Nate.

Ana comes back a few minutes later with new clothes and a towel set.

"Sorry," I say to her as she places the things on the bed.

"For what?"

"For putting you and Dan in a difficult situation with Nate."

"You heard us?" Ana asks, surprised.

"Yes, I did."

"Don't worry about it. You can stay with us as long as you like," Ana says, with a soft smile.