CHAPTER 35

"Where did you put your clean clothes?" Nate asks as he steps out of the water.

"I didn't bring any. I didn't plan to take a swim," I say, standing beside him.

"How did you plan to walk back to the packhouse?" he asks, arching his brows at me. "In your bloody clothes?"

"I didn't think about that. I just wanted to get the dirty clothes and blood off me."

"It's fine. Raise your hands," Nate says, and I do as he asks. He slides his T-shirt over my head.

"Thank you," I say, dropping my hands.

"You're welcome. Let's go," Nate says, when he's done putting on his shorts. I start walking in front of him, but he pulls me back. "Not in front of me. Walk-behind me," he says, pushing me behind him.

"Why?" I ask, confused.

"I need to block any unmated wolf from seeing your legs."

"Really? My legs?" I scoff.

"Yes, your legs. You don't know what beautiful legs you have, mate. Stay behind me," he says.

"Okay," I say, smiling at his compliment. Nate is one possessive werewolf.

Nate and I walk into the packhouse straight to our room. This pack was lucky the fight happened outside the packhouse, so the place is still livable, unlike the last pack. I put my phone to charge and get under the covers to go to bed. I'm closing my eyes to sleep when Nate speaks.

"She-wolf, is your plan to drive me crazy?" Nate says from beside me on our bed.

"What are you talking about?" I ask, turning around to face him.

"Why are you sleeping with only my shirt on? I can see your ass once you lie down."

"I don't understand what's wrong with you seeing my ass?"

"Elizabeth, it's bad enough I smell you in my bed all night. That enough drives my wolf crazy because he hasn't marked you. Now you want to sleep almost naked in our bed. It's like you're asking me to mark you so you die"

"Oh," I say, understanding now why it's a problem that I want to sleep with no underwear. "I'll put on some PJ bottoms," I say, going to my luggage to find some bottoms.

"Thank you."

"You're welcome," I say, walking back to bed after putting on my PJ bottoms. I love Nate's scent, so I keep his shirt on.

***

The following morning, I wake up early and go downstairs to help in the kitchen. As I walk into the kitchen, I'm facing the one person I don't want to see this early in the morning.

"Morning, Scarlett," I greet her. She's supposed to leave today. I can't wait. I'm so happy Nate didn't listen to me and asked her to leave once her replacement arrives. "Do you need any help making breakfast?" I ask, one of the omegas cooking in the kitchen. Before she can answer, Scarlett does.

"No, we don't. We have everything covered here," she smiles.

"Okay, if you need me, I'll be outside," I say, walking out of the kitchen. I guess I woke up late because it seems I'm not needed since her Royal Highness Scarlett is in the kitchen. Royal highness, my foot. I'm sure she woke up earlier than me to intentionally help in the kitchen before I got a chance. She wants to make me look like I'm not helping, so others will say she's the perfect match for the Alpha King.

I walk around the pack grounds to find something to do or someone to help. We've found and treated almost all the injured since we arrived two days ago. I walk into the woods to clear my head of my racing thoughts.