Chapter Twenty Nine: ... No Fun?

Nero had led us through her house to her dining room where, much like the rest of her house, it was an exquisite looking room where windows lined one side of the room. The windows faced the city and I saw all of Rome lit up, not by electricity but I could make out hundreds of small lights emitting either from candles or fireplaces in people's homes. Even with light pollution you could still make out the stars twinkling brightly up in the sky up above Rome, it was quite a beautiful sight to behold. Turning my attention back to the dining room I was confused momentarily as I saw neither dining room table nor any tables. Instead I was greeted by what appeared to be some open sided couches facing the entrance to the room accompanied by several low square tables. The couches themselves reminded me of those couches you'd see in psychologist offices or ones nobles would pose on in paintings; it was like a lounge chair. The room, like the other rooms before it, was lit by several candles mounted to the walls, and judging by the smell in the room there were oil lanterns as well. The walls of the room had various paintings on them that contained perspective scenes that I wasn't all that familiar with, but they were just as elaborate as the rest of the room. I still wasn't sure if I was in the dining room or a living room.

"Why are you standing there slack jawed, take a seat you idiot." Scathach retorted as the others were already seated, while I was the only one left standing as I had spaced out in the confusion.

"R-Right..." I said as I took a seat besides Scathach as it was the only one that was available. Nero was seated by herself on one of the couches, or I should say she was reclined on the couch. Jeanne and Mashu were seated next to one another across from Scathach and I, and I wasn't really sure if we were supposed to each have our own couch or if you could sit multiple people to a couch. Not to mention it felt awkward with nothing supporting my back so I had to sit up straight, and the arms of the chair didn't offer anything in the way of support either. I'd take my office chair over this any day...

"I want to start off by apologizing for the lack of a proper banquet, but due to the war I'm afraid I can only offer less than usual

"I want to start off by apologizing for the lack of a proper banquet, but due to the war I'm afraid I can only offer less than usual..." Nero apologized.

"No need to apologize, your Highness." I said. "We're more than grateful for your hospitality. Compared to the dirt we usually eat while on missions, a warm cooked meal is a welcome change." I explained and a soft smile emerged from Nero as she let out a faint chuckle.

"You're quite the funny one Chris." Nero chimed.

"Thank you, I try." I said with a nod. There was a grunt from Scathach.

"Now then before we proceed any further, what all would you like to eat?" Nero inquired and Jeanne and Mashu glanced at me while I averted my gaze elsewhere. How the hell would I know what to ask for in Ancient Rome?

"None of us are that picky, so long as it's either Fish or some sort of Beef." I said scratching my cheek. Nero seemingly nodded her head approvingly before speaking to the female servant behind her in Latin telling them what I had said; the servant nodded their head in acknowledgement.