Chapter One: The Rocky Road Ahead

Across the river of an old clock tower and down a cobblestone road sat an old manor that had the appearance of a small castle. It was surrounded by a black fence that wrapped around the entire property denying entry only to those who it allowed, very few people walked its streets. The Manor was far from the squabbling and power struggles of the Mages of the Clock Tower Elite. The people there kept their noses in their work and did not quarrel amongst each others. It was eerily quiet inside and on today the only sounds that could be heard were the pitter patter of the rain against the windows...

I heard the familiar click as the second to last driver pin clicked into place, meaning all that was left was the last pin and the door would be picked. I concentrated hard as I fiddled with the last pin to the door's lock, all that stood in the way of entry.

 I concentrated hard as I fiddled with the last pin to the door's lock, all that stood in the way of entry

"Rin.... Should we really be doing this...?" A voice asked and I looked up at my blonde haired companion and lifelong friend Arturia Emiya. While Arturia had long ago cast aside her servant and knight past to become married to Shirou, she still acted overprotective, righteous, and acted upon the same strict code of chivalry she held in her previous life. "This seems extremely... illegal to be breaking into the office of a Director." Arturia muttered as she read off the name on the door.

"You were the one who insisted on coming along Arturia." I said while peering into the lock via magic. "You have a job to work and kids to look after, you didn't need to come along with me." I replied.

"Yes... well, I still feel compelled to look after you Rin." Arturia said glancing down at me. "Not only as your lifelong friend, but also as a former knight, even though I put that former life behind me! It is still my duty to protect you." Arturia said clenching her hand into a fist and raising it up to her chest, and that made me chuckle a little.

"Well Arturia...." I said just as the last satisfying click was heard indicating I had successfully clicked the last driver into place. "You can't break into a place of a dead man." I said standing up straight as I grabbed the door handle and pulled it back. Arturia only sighed and brought her hand up to her face and rubbed her eyes. "Now come along Arturia and let's do some investigating." I said with a coy smile, Arturia only sighed once more and walked up to me.

"I haven't seen you this energetic in at least twenty something odd years Rin." Arturia said with almost a smile.

"Yes well you could say I've never been this excited in years. Finally something interesting is happening." I said raising my hand up in front of the open door with an open palm. I closed my eyes for a moment and then there was a green pulse as I disbanded the bounded field of the office. "Geez for the Director of one of the departments this field was a joke." I thought to myself smiling, but then again it was going against the very best of mages, Rin Tohsaka. "Now come along now Arturia, the bounded field has been disabled." I said hurrying Arturia along inside, closing the door behind us.

Once we were inside, we were greeted by the strong aroma of old furniture and the dust made me want to gag. I rose my hand up to my mouth and waved my hand in the air for a few moments. Arturia walked over to the window in the corner of the room and grunted as she lifted up the window after a few jerks, letting some fresh air into the stale room. Outside we heard the rain pitter pattering against the building and after a few moments it became more bearable to breath. I took my hand down from my mouth and looked around, the office was filled with musty old furniture and the walls were lined with well stocked bookshelves. There was also a fireplace that had not seen use in a long time with two leather chairs with some books stacked on a nightstand. "Geez is this an office or a library?" I thought to myself, but then again it was nothing new for a Mages office to be stacked full of books. However we weren't here to admire his book collection, even though it was impressive. I stepped forward into his office and made my way towards his oak desk near another window. I grasped the rims of the top of another leather chair and pulled it out from behind the desk. I sat down in the chair and swiveled around to face forward where I placed my hands down on the desk and pulled back on one of the drawers. There was a rattle as the drawer didn't budge and I ruffled my eyebrows.