Chapter Thirty Two: Home To Roost

Come sunrise we had already woken and gathered our things before setting out for the port city of Messina. I didn't want to waste any time so I hurried the others along, seeing as how Jeanne and Mashu were not in a particular rush. Scathach on the other hand had been the first one away, but that was the case even when we were home. We reached Messina hours later with no trouble along the way thankfully, and upon arrival the first friendly face to greet us was the stable master who to the surprise of no one wanted his horses back. We dismounted from our horses and the stable master chased us away, before scurrying the horses back into the stable. The four of us left standing there clinging onto our things as we were barely able to gather our things before having our horses taken from us.

"He didn't even say a word to us. Not even yell at us." I said stunned while watching him disappear into the stables.

"Why bother? We can't speak his language nor can he speak ours." Scathach said to me. "Besides we're just strangers to him, why would he care?" Scathach said before turning her back to me and heading towards the boat.

"I guess you're right." I murmured, giving one last long look at Messin before turning my back to the city and following after the others. Our boat was already waiting to take us back to Rome, and I was eager to get back on track after this minor detour as I made my way up the gangplank onto the boat...

It wasn't several days until we pulled into Portus, and once we were in port I gathered my things and made my way down the gangplank only seconds after it was placed

It wasn't several days until we pulled into Portus, and once we were in port I gathered my things and made my way down the gangplank only seconds after it was placed. Not wanting to spend another second longer on that wretched boat.

"God, I really hope that's the last time I have to ride on a boat." I said with a weary sigh as I placed my hand on my chest. I had gotten lucky on the way there with clear skies and calm seas, but on the way back we had gotten caught up in a heavy rain storm and the waves rocked the ship back and forth violently. There were several times when I had been thrown out of my cot and across the storage area. My back was sore and my head ached from the amount of times I had struck it against something. The storm stuck with us all the way to Portus and even here it was still raining, but I was just glad to be back on solid land now, and to get back to Rome.

"I wouldn't bet on that one." I heard someone's voice from behind me, and turned to meet Scathach's gaze. I narrowed my eyes at her and before I could say a word someone else spoke in my place.

"The ride to Portus was for more enjoyable than the ride back." Mashu said and looked up to watch her come down the gangplank. She was followed by Jeanne whose face looked paler than usual as she brought her hand up to her mouth.

"I feel like I'm going to be sick." Jeanne murmured, clutching her stomach.

"I did tell you that you might change your mind." I pointed out.

"I didn't realize boat rides could be so violent." Jeanne said. "I think I much prefer solid land to traveling by boat." Jeanne stated as she wiped her mouth.