Chapter Twenty One: Misfortune

As we grew closer to the Security department Scathach and I slowed down as we approached the end of corridor leading into the main office. Creeping forward we reached the edge of the corridor where we peered around the corner; it was there that we discovered that the offices were completely deserted at the moment. There wasn't a single soul to be found at their desk, it was almost like a scene out of a horror movie, with the exception that all the lights were still on. That and I had Scathach with me, so not quite as spooky.

 That and I had Scathach with me, so not quite as spooky

"There's nobody here." Scathach murmured over my shoulder.

"Yeah, I can see that." I said looking over my shoulder at her. Scathach met my gaze with a blank expression as per usual.

"I was just saying in case you hadn't noticed." Scathach replied and I rolled my eyes before facing forward.

"Well I did notice. I'm just being careful." I said with a dismissive wave of my hand. "It's not all that surprising considering most of them are either on duty right now or are watching over Amara." I said trying to make sense of things. "And Andersen is currently with the Director." I added.

"I know that much." Scathach said and I felt her gaze burning into my skull. "But given we just heard a gunshot a few moments ago, I'm concerned there is no one here."

"Well we assume they're gunshots, we're not certain." I said.

"I'm certain those were gunshots." Scathach said.

"Are you certain?" I asked gripping the edge tightly.

"Yes, I'm positive that they were. I don't know why you're second guessing yourself right now." Scathach replied. "My hearing is better than yours after all." Scathach added, not as if I already didn't know. She was right though, I was second guessing myself. Not that I was trying to do it on purpose, but I really had been holding out hope that it hadn't been the case.

"Yeah okay, you're right. Those were gunshots." I grumbled.

"Well of course I am! You originally said they were gunshots to begin with." Scathach said. "The question is; what are we going to do about it? I'm not sensing anyone currently in the main offices, nor do I smell any gunpowder residue." Scathach stated.

"So if the gunshots didn't occur in the main office, they must have come from elsewhere." I said.

"Where else is there?" Scathach asked.

"Well...." I murmured as I scanned the room. There were four different corridors that lead into the Security department, and we were standing in one of them. "Well if we were to round the corner whilst hugging the wall we'd find a corridor that leads back in the direction we came." I said.

"Well we don't want to go back the way we came. The gunshots came from up ahead, not behind us." Scathach said.

"Yeah I know, so that just leaves the other two corridors." I said as my gaze shifted towards the corridor tucked in the corner on the opposite side of the room. "The corridor nestled in the corner just leads to a few private offices and meeting rooms." I said as I slowly turned my attention forward once more. "... And the corridor across from us leads to the holding cells." I murmured.