Chapter Thirteen: Home At Last

"So it had been a setup since the start?" Rin asked me as my story came to a close.

"Yeah, as I told the kid we had been watching them as soon as they had entered the compound." I said with a nod of my head. "We had arrived weeks earlier to set up more cameras and equipment along with moving some things around." I explained.

"From what you told me the security didn't even seem that hard to get around." Rin said.

"Well that's somewhat true; the facility had become a little neglected seeing as how it had never even had an intruder in its long history." I said shrugging my shoulders. "But we did use the outdated equipment to our advantage. While we left the older equipment in place, we had installed newer equipment hidden out of sight. So that made things a bit easier, but at the same time not too easy. We had all the new equipment hooked up to a temporary security room in the building on the surface." I said. Thinking back on it, it was really just a closest we had emptied out. Thinking back on how many days Raelin and I had spent in there with two other people only could only make me frown.

"So was them escaping also part of the plan?" Rin asked glaring at me with a smug expression.

"UH well uhhhh...... Yes and no..." I said reaching up and scratching my head.

"Yes... And No?" Rin inquired with a raised eyebrow as she appeared to be judging me.

"Well you see we had originally planned on trapping getting them in the vault and security room. However I figured we should let them go and see if they'd lead us back to their base or the buyer!" I exclaimed with a raised finger. Rin looked at me completely unconvinced and rightfully so. That was a complete lie. Those kids had ended up slipping through our fingers at the base... "Ahem anyway. Ultimately though we weren't able to uncover their client after the kids had been killed. Only being able to recover the artifact." I said and glanced off to the side to look at Rin. "And so here we are now 5 years later only to learn the traitor had been right beneath our noses the entire time. If only we had been able to find Amara out earlier, then all of this might have never happened...." I sneered as I tightened my hands into a fist. It was then when I felt a hand on my shoulder and I looked over surprised to see Rin's hand patting my shoulder.

"There, There. Don't beat yourself up over it Chris, I don't think anyone could have possibly sorted through this mess and put all the pieces together." Rin said reassuring with a warm smile on her face.

"That's not completely true." I said. "Lev had the hindsight to be able to figure out that Amara was working behind everyone's back to steal the Holy Grail in our possession so she could end the world." I said thinking back to my first meeting with Lev. "If only I had known Lev longer, perhaps he would have confided in me what Amara was doing and we could have put a stop to her before any of this happened..." I murmured as I returned my gaze forward.

"... Well we all can't be as great as Professor Lev was; he was a one of a kind man. So I've heard." Rin replied softly.

"I bet you could have figured it out Rin." I said looking to my side at Rin once again. Rin was taken aback by what I had said, but it only took a few moments before she was scratching her head shyly.