Chapter Forty One

With our ascension up the mountain the air started to thin making it more difficult to breathe. As was predicted things were starting to get a bit chillier the further up we went with the wind nipping my cheeks. Things were further complicated as our traverse was impeded by thick woodland and brush, and it was not until coming across a stream running down the mountain did things become somewhat easier. We traded getting torn up by brush for climbing over rocks and the occasional slip on the wet rocks. There was little chatter amongst us accompanied by the rushing water and chirping birds, but it was overall quiet giving myself some time to collect my thoughts and articulate a strategy for when we got to the other side.

Before I knew it we had reached the source of the stream and our easy goings had come to an end once again. If we wished to traverse any further we would require the use of our climbing gear. I turned back to see Jeanne and Mashu had stopped behind me now looking at me. Looking past them I saw how much distance we had covered, with the roman camps and fortifications being nothing but a blur at this point. The sun was now high up in the sky indicating it was somewhere around noon, my watch did me little good as it was still set to East coast time.

"Looks like from here on out we'll be climbing" I said to the others.

"Is there really no other way around?" Jeanne inquired.

"Not unless you were planning on tunneling through the mountain." I said, causing a sigh to escape Jeanne's lips. "If it was that easy to traverse, the enemy would have already done so by now." I added.

"I know, I know." Jeanne said. "It's just that I've never done any rock climbing before so I'm not too thrilled about it." Jeanne said.

"Me neither." Mashu added.

"That's to be expected, but this shouldn't be too challenging." I said.

"Do you do a lot of rock climbing?" Jeanne asked.

"Not very often." I replied.

"That's not very reassuring." Jeanne murmured.

"I'll be taking the lead." Scathach said from behind me. "I'll be setting up the anchors ahead of you all, so as long as your safety harnesses are securely fastened you should have nothing to worry about. All you need to do is focus on your footing and what you're grabbing onto." Scathach explained.

"Lancer's right, you'll be fine so long as your harness is secure." I nodded my head. "If anything happens Lancer and I will be there to support you." I reassured them.

"If anything does happen I should be able to pull to safety." Scathach said.

"Thankfully nobody has on any heavy armor or weapons so I should be able to assist if needed." I added. "So if there's nothing else, pull out your gear and get ready." I said and Jeanne and Mashu nodded their heads. The four of us proceeded with taking our climbing gear out from our backpacks and got kitted up.

With everyone harnesses fastened on, there was a safety check just to be sure they were secured properly. Next up we ran our ropes through our harnesses and carabiners. There was one last safety check to make sure everything was done properly, since the last thing any of us needed was too plummet to our deaths or at least that was the last thing I needed since I assumed the others would be fine.

"Alright I'll head on up first, I'll let you know when to start following." Scathach instructed. We watched as Scathach walked up to the rock wall and she reached up grabbing onto a crevice in the wall. Using that leverage she pulled herself up and found her footing on some rocks, before reaching up and grabbing on hold to the next rock. Scathach found her footing and stepped up and proceeded to climb, dragging the rope behind her as she made her way up. Meanwhile the three of us stood at the bottom watching and waiting for the signal.