Chapter Nine: Unexpected Surprises

I walked down my driveway with my hands in my pockets on a chilly December morning. Around me I could hear birds chirping and dogs barking as the neighborhood begun to wake up. I looked up into the sky to see the sun shining brightly as it always did, however even with the sun shining in the sky it was still cold as I felt the cold nipping at my face. It was Early December and summer had long passed with autumn being left behind and winter setting in, with winter came far colder weather, before I knew it snow would be falling onto the ground. I looked back down and saw that a slight fog was resting over the pond and even from the end of my driveway I could hear the ripples of the water out on the pond. A smile formed on my face as I enjoyed such a peaceful morning, a reminder of how glad I was to be home in Pennsylvania and not on some battlefield in France. As I stood there enjoying the peaceful sounds of a beautiful Monday morning and watching my cold breath in the air, I was reminded of why I came out here. I looked down at the mailbox and pulled my hand out of to pull down the lid. Reaching inside I found several letters waiting inside for me, I pulled them out before I shut the lid of the mailbox. Then I was reminded of what I didn't like, it was that time of the month again!

"Bills, Bills, and more Bills..." I murmured as I glossed over the letters from the various companies who I owed money too. It was already bad enough that the Government stole a large portion of my paycheck, but then again it wasn't so bad, the companies weren't forcing me to pay these bills, I was doing so willingly. However before I could bemoan taxation and the Government any further, I found a most curious letter out of envelopes I received. On the front of the letter was my name and address, but there was no return address. I tucked the other envelopes in between my armpits and flipped the letter over and saw the familiar diamonds of Chaldea Security Organization keeping the letter shut. I peeled the seal off of the back of the letter, and pulled a neatly folded letter out from the envelope. As I unfolded the letter the letter to read, I rested against my mailbox. The letter read as following in a sloppy yet adorable handwriting:

Dear Christopher,

I hope this letter reaches you well, the Doctor assures me it will so I will have to take his word on it... I finally did it Chris, it took a couple of embarrassing moments and lots of work, but I'm finally able to read and write. I still have a lot more work ahead of me but I am at least now able to write and read. I've begun to read the bible now and it is as good as I imagined, have you ever read the bible? This is my very first ever written letter so I hope that you'll bear with me and my bad writing Chris.

So how have you been Christopher? It's been several months since we've seen each other, and I hope the three of you are doing well in this America that you speak of. I have never heard of America, but then again I never knew of any other countries in my life besides Britain and France, although I had heard some stuff about the Holy Roman Empire to the east. To be honest with you, I do not even know where Chaldea is located. So I'll hope you forgive my ignorance if I ask where America is located. I know that I could ask for a Map, but I would rather hear about it from you.

I've been doing my best writing and reading like you told me too, it's been difficult, but I've been pushing forward. The Doctor has been a very good teacher and has been there to help me whenever I need it.... Still though, I wish you had been here to teach me how to read and write. I don't blame you for going home, but it's just that I find things more enjoyable and more understandable when you teach them to me.

I've been trying to keep myself occupied while you've been away, but outside of my studies all I really do is read the bible or some of the books Doctor Roman has recommended that I start off with. I've really tried to make use of the facilities provided by Chaldea to keep myself busy, I've worked out at Chaldea's gym and tried out some of the other recreational activities, but still I find myself growing bored at doing the same things day in and day out. I do not know how anyone could work here 365 Days a Year, I do not like it, I feel cramped within the confines of Chaldea. I wish I could leave and see the outside world, but it's far too cold outside to even step outside of the compound. I do not like the Cold Christopher, I am not use to it, it was never this cold in France. So for now I guess I will stay put inside the cramped yet warm confines of Chaldea. However one positive I can say for sure is that it is far more enjoyable to be relaxing here at Chaldea than fighting on the battlefields of France, yet there is some anxiety as I await the next singularity and what it has in store for us.