Chapter Thirty-Five: Unwanted Fights

Boudica would proceed to show us our way around the camp, and it was a good thing too. The Roman camp was made up of dozens of streets, each street lined with dozens of tents if not more, and it felt more like we were inside a small city rather than a military camp. There had to be several hundred tents here to house the thousands of Roman soldiers manning the fortifications against the relentless hordes or URE soldiers. Boudica would give us a tour of the fortifications, which consisted of several layers of impressive stone walls and watchtowers. Each wall was lined with archers and ballistas all pointed down the narrow valley, and if any of the walls did get breached there were moats dug in between filled with spikes. The final wall had several layers of wooden spikes pointed towards its large wooden doors with pikeman at the ready, and even more soldiers standing at the ready incase of a breach. We didn't see any sign of the URE this late into the evening, but if one were to look down the valley you would see it was littered with the corpses of URE soldiers, broken siege equipment, and horses. In the distance, one might even make out the dim light of the torches in the URE camp. I was surprised that they had been holding out this long, but Boudica informed me that if things ever started to look dire Spartacus head out on the battlefield making it his own playground. I guess that made sense, releasing a berserker into a narrow valley with only one way to escape was bound to cause chaos and turn it into a deathtrap for ordinary humans. My only concern was what of the enemy servants, and why hadn't they been sent against Nero's defenses. Surely a servant's noble phantasm could rip right through these walls with no trouble, but maybe Boudica or Spartacus had been preventing that?

Our tour would bring us back to the camp with Boudica showing us to our tents, which were all located next to one another so we wouldn't have to go far to find one another. We were informed that Nero's tent wasn't far from ours so we could link up with the Empress incase of an emergency. Boudica would show us where her tent was located as well in the event we ever needed to find her. With most of the important locations out of the way our tour would wrap up at the mess tent, which I doubt we'd need to use since we got most of our food from Chaldea, but useful to know where it was nonetheless. With the tour concluded Boudica would take a seat at one of the logs located around a campfire and Spartacus would stand close by. The four of us proceeded to join her at the campfire taking seats at accompanying logs.

"So I think it's only fair if you tell me your story, since you likely know mine already." Boudica said after a momentary silence, her eyes looking at me. I don't know a whole lot about Boudica, but I'm guessing Mashu might have and so did Scathach, more than likely.

"Well it's kind of a long story..." I said scratching my head.

"The Night is still young." Boudica replied.

"True enough." I said with a sigh. I opened my mouth prepared to tell Boudica the story of who we were and where we came from, but was stopped short.

"Don't worry Senpai, I'll fill Boudica in on Chaldea and who we are." Mashu said, placing her hand on my shoulder. "I know how tired you must still be from the journey, so let me handle this." Mashu insisted, and I could only nod my head in thanks. Mashu smiled and turned to face Boudica, meeting her gaze directly.

"We come from the year 2025 representing the Chaldea Security Organization...." Mashu began.

The sun had gone down by the time Mashu had finished filling Boudica in all of the various things from where we came from, who Chaldea was, what the situation was in our timeline, and what our purpose was here. I felt myself dozing off during certain parts, but did my best not to fall asleep for fear of making a fool of Mashu or myself.

"So that's our story. I think we'll be in your care for a while." Mashu wrapped up her explanation to Boudica, who had been diligently following along the whole while.