Chapter Thirty-Six: Pondside Fun

I awoke to the flickering rays of sunlight that protruded beyond the blockade of branches shining brightly on my face, slowly forcing my eyes to adjust to their intensity. Beyond the branches I could see the vast blanket of blue hovering above, its sublime surface covered with white balls of fluff as it stood beyond the reach of even the tree planted in the ground. Shifting my gaze further up I was met with Raelin's face, her eyes closed and chest rising up and down in sync with her heartbeat.

Even though Raelin looked so endearing as she slept soundly, I couldn't help myself and wound up reaching up and pinching her cheek. She was slow to respond at first, but as I stretched her cheek out even further she instinctively grabbed my arm and with her other hand she grabbed my face in retaliation.

"Ah!" I exclaimed as her talon-like grip held my face and grabbed her hand in an effort to pull it off. "You're gonna crack my skull if you squeeze any harder!" I grimaced.

"Then let go of my cheek..." Raelin muttered as I had my thumb in her mouth now pulling on her cheek even harder. I wanted to resist at first, but her fingernails were digging into my skin now so I reluctantly let go of her cheek and pulled my thumb out from her mouth returning my hand to my chest. With Raelin's cheek bouncing back to it's original shape she would hold my face for a few more seconds before pulling it back, but not before pinching my nose shut for a moment. I winced in response and was forced to sneeze, which led me to rub my nose furiously afterwards. I looked up at Raelin as I rubbed my nose and found she was looking down at me with an amused expression.

"Why do you gotta be so mean to me..." I whimpered.

"It's mean to pull on someone's cheek while they're sleeping." Raelin replied with a frown. "Especially one who is letting you sleep in their lap." Ralein added.

"I'm sorry..." I murmured, still rubbing my nose. "But you looked so cute while you were sleeping." I said

"And your response to that was to pinch my cheek?" Raelin asked, raising a brow in response.

"Y-Yeah." I said.

"Unbelievable." Raelin murmured.

"Besides you were the one who asked me if I wanted to lay in your lap?" I said.

"Cause I know how you love laying in my lap." Raelin said.

"Yeah because your lap is so soft and makes for an excellent pillow." I said.

"You sleep on my breast all the time when we go to bed, are you saying those make for an excellent pillow as well?" Raelin asked bluntly.

"Yup, they're just the right amount of cushion and softness." I said.

"Well I'm glad to know that I'm just a glorified pillow to you." Raelin rolled her eyes.

"You know what I meant." I said reaching up again and giving her cheek a pinch, which was quickly slapped away. "I can't fall asleep on just anyone you know, you're a very special type of pillow." I joked, trying to keep a straight face in the process.

"That's the most unromantic thing you've ever said to me." Raelin couldn't help but smile as she tried to hold back her own laughter.

"Yet you still love me, don't you?" I asked as I reached up and cupped her cheek this time. Raelin brought her hand up to my own and gripped it affectionately as she reached down and patted my head.

"Well of course I do, if I didn't, who else would?" Raelin joked back.

"I'm sure I could find someone who also loves me." I said.

"Your Mom or Dad doesn't count and neither does your sister." Raelin shot down the most obvious examples I could have used, almost as if she had been expecting me to use them.