Chapter Thirty-Seven: Change In Plans

My eyes slowly opened only to wince close in response to the light filtering through the slit in my tent and it took a few moments to adjust to the light. As I came too and looked up, I found a golden-haired knight fast asleep slouched over me. It looked like Jeanne hadn't gone back to her tent last night, and instead chose to stay put with me in her lap before falling asleep hunched over me. I was gonna need to give her a talk about going to bed and getting a proper night's rest.

I reached up to pinch Jeanne's cheek to jolt her awake but stopped myself short from doing so and retracted my hand

I reached up to pinch Jeanne's cheek to jolt her awake but stopped myself short from doing so and retracted my hand. I shook my head and placed my hand on her shoulder proceeding to push her off. There was no reaction as I pushed her back until causing her to fall back on the cot completely unfazed. I sat up and rubbed my eyes before looking over at Jeanne, who was now laid out across the cot with her feet dangling from the side. She was still fast asleep, her chest rising up and down with a smile plastered across her face. I was surprised that moving her hadn't even stirred her awake, she must have been more exhausted than I am, which didn't make a whole lot of sense given her servant status. Maybe it was because I had been so exhausted that she was so tired as well, but that was just a theory. Either way she looked like she was sleeping peacefully, so I wasn't going to wake her. I just hoped no one came into our tent right now, because the way she was sprawled back on my bed in a very suggestive manner would give the wrong idea to anyone who might barge in. Luckily no one did walk in, in the time it took for me to slip into my boots and pull my body armor over my head followed by my suit jacket. Once dressed I stood up from my cot and cast one last glance at Jeanne before setting off in search of Scathach.

I ducked my head and pushed the flap out of my way as I exited out of the tent and out under the open sky. The sun was already high up in the sky meaning it must be around noon time and looking around I found the camp to be bustling with activity. Scathach's tent was right next to mine so it wasn't a far walk. I ducked my head inside and found her hunched over a table studying something. Scathach paid me no attention as she continued studying the object, and as I drew closer I saw that there was a map of the area sprawled across the table.

"Look at you being a diligent student, doing your homework." I said and Scathach didn't even bother looking at me in response.

"Well unlike you I don't like going blind into these things, with no plan or strategy. Instead opting to fly by the seat of your pants in most of our operations." Scathach retorted.

"I actually came here to discuss our upcoming strategy with you." I said.

"One of your rarer moments." Scathach remarked.

"Are you going to allow me to ask you questions so I can get your thoughts on certain things, or just berate me?" I asked.

"You want my thoughts on a matter?" Scathach sneered with raised brow. "Why? You always ignore whatever advice I may give or disregard any caution or suggestions I might have."

"Would you stop that!" I exclaimed. "I've asked you for your help before in the past and listened to what you've had to say. Sometimes I heed your advice, and other times I choose to go against your better judgment. However it's not like I don't listen to you at all, nor do I not recognize your vast knowledge and experience." I said to an unconvinced looking Scathach. Scathach stared into my face for several moments seemingly mulling whether to listen to me or not before eventually letting out a heavy sigh.