Chapter Five

"It's time to get the chains out...'Cause this is my ground and I'm dangerous and you can get off.  But it's all 'bout me tonight." -Confident by Demi Lovato

Scarlet's POV:

"What do you want to drink, babe?" Lia asked, realizing how much of a nervous wreck I was. I couldn't stop fidgeting with a loose thread from my shirt. My gaze darted haphazardly around the packed bar.

After cramming and pushing our way through the crowd of people, we finally found two stools by the bar. Lia was in her element, knowing where to go, who to talk to and how to respectfully turn down any creep who asked her out.

I, on the other hand, followed her around like a lost puppy, amazed by how she could feel so comfortable in an environment like this. Everyone was either too drunk to stand or drinking themselves sick while they danced the night away. Hell, I could've sworn I saw a group of people doing heroine in the back.

She sensed my apprehension, reaching out and placing my hand in hers.

"Relax, I am going to order you something light, like a beer so it can loosen you up a bit, okay?" She gave my hand a reassuring squeeze. I trusted Lia so I nodded in agreement before she turned to the bartender and ordered our drinks.

While she was conversing with the man behind the bar, my eyes wandered around, peering through the fog of cigarette smoke at the crowd.

The club itself was huge, like really big, but with the amount of people jammed inside, it looked like more than a million people were crammed into a tiny space. It was 10:00 pm on a Friday night, so everyone was here letting loose after a long week of work.

I always liked to observe people and this was literally the best place to do it. Everyone seemed to be familiar with at least one other person, laughing and dancing the night away. And every single person had a drink in hand whether it was an exotic looking beverage or a simple beer.

And I stuck out like a sore thumb, from my clothes to my behavior. I was completely overdressed for the occasion. Every girl I saw strutted confidently in their stylish designer outfits that showed off their beautiful bodies. These same girls were grinding and moving their bodies effortlessly, garnering the attention of countless males, of many different ages.

Then there was me, the weird girl sitting by the bar dressed in clothes that covered her body from head to toe, inching to go back through the door and leave.

Parties, big crowds and alcohol were never my cup of tea. Everyone was dancing, talking, laughing, smoking God knows what or too busy with their tongue down someone else's throat.

They were having the time of their lives while I was slouched over on a bar stool, dreading the idea of someone approaching me, trying to start a conversation. As usual I made sure to come up with various discussion points just in the event that I had to speak with someone.

But sitting her, seeing all the people socialize and flirt so effortlessly I knew I couldn't do that.

Just when I was about to turn to Lia and tell her that I wanted to leave, she shoved an iced cold beer into my hands before I could say otherwise.

"I'm going to go talk to that cutie over there," She said pointing over to the other side of the dance floor. "So if you need anything don't hesitate to come over and get me, okay?"

I nodded in agreement, giving her the most genuine smile I could conjure. But in reality, I was scared shitless about the fact that she was going to leave me alone.

Although I felt incredibly uncomfortable, I didn't want to ruin her night. After all, this was paradise for her—the booze, the flirting, the casual sex. So being the good friend I was, I ignored my uneasiness and let her go.