Chapter Thirty-One

"Wise men say...Only fools rush in...But I can't help falling in love with you" -Can't Help Falling In Love by Elvis Presley

Scarlet's POV

Last night, to put it plainly, was hands down the best experience of my life. I could not even begin to describe the way Phoenix caressed me, kissed me, spoke to me. It was like he knew my body's every need and fulfilled it tenfold.

I went to bed feeling on top of the world. Above all, I went to bed in love with the man beside me. But I had a real shit way of showing it when I practically shoved my hand down Phoenix's throat and pulled the stories of his horrid childhood right out of him the next morning.  Of all the fucked up things I'd done in my life, that had to be in the top ten.

But people fuck up. I knew it and apparently so did Phoenix. Maybe that was why it was so easy for him to forgive me yesterday in the car. And that was definitely the reason why I found myself in the men's bathroom, reassuring him. Because you would think that after seeing Phoenix beat someone to a pulp in the middle of the hall along with the fact that he practically called me an ignorant bitch that it would have me running for hills.

But yet I found myself already forgiving him. Once again.

Yes, he was broken and I couldn't imagine what he must have gone through in his life but it didn't make him a bad person. I knew it sounded cliche, but I saw it in his eyes, in the little things he did. He was just as capable of compassion, kindness, and care like any human being. He just needed to see past his mistakes.

As I exited the bathroom with tears aggressively strolling down my face and a fighting urge not to look back I found myself realizing just how much the actions of one person could affect someone's emotions and well-being.

Because at that moment, I realized it was going to be a shitty day. And God was I right.

...

Three days. Not one. Not two. But three days.

I didn't see or hear from Phoenix for three FUCKING DAYS.

The hopeful side of me expected to hear from him on Monday afternoon or even Tuesday morning but I never got the call or text. Every day after that I caught myself discretely wandering around the school grounds to see if he had shown up. But my efforts were futile.

On Wednesday I got so desperate that I found myself dialing his number but then I didn't get the chance to call because my mom shouted from downstairs to help her with something. Thank God.

My heart ached at the idea that maybe whatever he and I had going on was over. That he had his fair share of fun and now it was time to move on. Lia warned me and even I knew that this was bound to happen but some part of me still held onto hope. And I wanted to murder that optimistic son of a bitch so fucking bad.

It was now Thursday night and I had just finished Brady's eight-page assignment. Feeling exhausted and pathetically lovesick, I curled up in my bed in nothing but an oversized shirt that had pizza stains all over it and watched Ragnarok for the hundredth time with an extra large tub of cookies and cream ice cream. You'd be surprised as to how heavenly that felt.

Towards the end of the movie, the feeling of drowsiness slowly overcame my body so I decided to set my phone alarm in case I fell asleep. But when I took my phone off the nightstand all feelings of exhaustion just vanished into thin hair when I saw the name that flashed across my screen.

"My Phoenix Bear aka the sexiest man alive❤️🥵"

I never changed the name because I always found it funny but I couldn't even laugh the way how I was nervous. My sweaty, shaking palms made it longer than usual for me to open the message.