Chapter Seven

"Feeling good is the primary intention." -Danielle LaPorte

Scarlet's POV:

I'd always been good with words, excelling in writing and literature from a very early age. In fact, my teachers and parents constantly told me that I should pursue a career in English and I myself seriously considered it over the years. But I was never passionate enough to follow through with that idea.

However, lying here in my bed, I couldn't begin to accurately put the other night into words.

It was kind of similar to the feeling of being in an airplane for the first time. The exhilaration and thrill that hits you when the plane finally reaches its highest altitude. Seeing the radiant vastness of the blue skies right before your eyes for the first time. Clouds floating above and below you as you slowly move past it, expanding like an ever growing dream. You feel so at peace that you begin to think that heaven is within reach. It feels so fucking close that you almost begin to taste it.

But sooner or later, the beautiful view would disappear and the plane would start to prepare for landing.

But my descent hadn't begun yet and I wasn't sure if I wanted it to.

While I understood that my fairytale night was done and over with, this particular Monday morning felt a lot less dreary than usual. This was strange considering Mondays were always— unexciting.

Instead, it felt as though my head was still in the clouds, marveling at the beauty of the sky. Not quite reaching landfall.

I began to count the cracks in the ceiling but I couldn't seem to pass number three. Or perhaps I didn't want to.

The beam of light from the sun shone through my window and beat down on my exposed legs in the bed. Spring was not my favorite season, but in moments like these, nothing could be better.

Resting my head against the pillow, I listened to the birds singing beautifully outside. The cloudless day looked magnificent with the light blue skies. It was picture perfect!

My alarm quickly reminded me that I needed to get ready for school. So I did my regular morning routine but this time I let my hair fall gracefully along my back in a high ponytail.

Then, I hurriedly threw on a pair of jeans and a slightly cropped, long-sleeved top that stopped right above the waist of the jeans. It was the type of shirt that would expose the entirety of my midriff if I raised my arms too high.

My choice of clothing and hairstyle wasn't something I'd usually go with. But I thought that maybe if I pulled some aspects of the other night into today then maybe just maybe the ominous warning of my descent would quiet itself in the back of my mind just for a while. With that hope at the forefront of my mind,  my fueled spontaneity didn't come as much of a surprise.

Despite the few hiccups, my night was amazing. It was a bit out of my comfort zone seeing as though I spent my Friday nights alone reading a romance novel but for the most part, it was worth it.

I was under the impression that my social skills or lack thereof would obliterate any chance of me enjoying myself but I found a way to push it aside for a moment and actually have fun.

However, I couldn't seem to shake my encounter with Phoenix Knight.

In fact, if I was being honest, he was one of the main reasons why that night was one to remember. In spite of our conversation being a mere exchange of words, it was still quite memorable.

My cheeks warmed at the thought of him.

And maybe, my choice of style was influenced by the small part of me that wanted Phoenix to recognize me.