Chapter Twenty-Five

"Take me into your loving arms...Kiss me under the light of a thousand stars." Thinking Out Loud by Ed Sheeran.

Phoenix's POV

Scarlet's face gleamed with fascination as she drank in the sight before her. As she stood frozen and awestruck for a minute too long, I would hear little gasps of wonder at different intervals.

"So, what do you think?" I asked already knowing her answer.

"It's beautiful, how did you manage to find this place?" She could hardly contain her excitement as she walked around, dragging her feet in the little sand that was there.

"I used to come here with my mom a long time ago when she was alive but now I just come here when I need to clear my head."

"Oh, I'm sorry."

"It's fine."

"I didn't mean to–"

"It's fine. Okay." I didn't mean to snap at her but that was just my default reaction at the mention of my family, more specifically my mother. But then I saw the look on her face and I froze, my heart ceased its movements at the sight of the hurt in her expression.

That familiar anguish that stormed in the pools of her irises brought me back to that day in the hallway. I thought I had seen her hurt in the kitchen but it was nothing like the look in her eyes on Friday.

Idiot. That was what I was. I should have written it across my forehead for good measure. Because how could I have been so stupid and careless to sleep with another girl when me and Scarlet...

Well, I wasn't even sure what to call whatever was going on between us but I did know that it was sacred, warm and it felt right. To add to the attributes, there was this unspoken exclusivity that was established that I somehow disregarded when I shoved my dick into another girl. And I don't how she found it in her heart to forgive an ignorant, brainless asshole like myself but she did. I liked that about her and maybe even pitied her for sometimes. That she found the good in everyone. Even me. And God I hoped that she would continue to see that and only that.

Scarlet's pain on both occasions tore me apart while at the same time giving me a clear warning to never hurt such a beautiful creature like her again.

"Um, so do you usually take other people here too?" She said, breaking the awkward silence between us. I also sensed a bit of jealousy in her voice as she drew circles with her foot. Fidgeting was one of the many tells of her nervousness.

Usually, I'd take this opportunity to call her out on her jealousy but I didn't. For some reason, I told her the truth without the humor-laced insinuation.

"You're the first person I've brought here," I said matter of factly, relief washing over her worried expression. It was the bare, unfiltered truth. I have never wanted to bring anyone up here before her.

"Why should I believe you?" She asked, placing her hands against her hips, to somewhat look serious but her efforts failed.

"C'mon Red, when have I ever lied to you?" I couldn't stop myself from smiling at her.

She didn't reply but instead continued walking around, slowly admiring the vast area. While Scarlet's back was faced to me, I decided to place my fingers in the waistband of my pants pulling it off before I peeled off the rest of the clothes in one quick motion, until I was left in only my boxer briefs.

She quickly around upon hearing my movements. With a startled expression at my half-naked body, her eyes caressed my body. Ogling me up and down with hungry eyes. She swallowed hard when her gaze remained a little too long on my semi.