Chapter Eighteen

"Ooh-uh-oh, don't you know? Don't wanna see you anymore. Put up or shut up. You spell, you read. D.O.O.R." Just Go Away by Blondie.

Scarlet's POV

"Please Miss Jackson. I'm begging you. Just give me one more chance." I pleaded. After Phoenix dropped that bomb on me in the classroom earlier, I scoured every inch of the school, searching for Miss Jackson to discuss my situation.

"I'm sorry but there is nothing more that I can do to help." She repeated for the umpteenth time.

"Can I at least get another tutor?" A bit of disdain filled my voice and I got a feeling that she picked up on my annoyance when she let out a small chuckle. If she won't allow me to retake the test, she could at least assign someone else as my tutor.

"I know Mr. Knight can be somewhat of a...handful but unfortunately for you, he was the only one willing and available. I'm sorry"

Willing to get in my pants, maybe. I was tempted to voice my thoughts but I decided on keeping that tidbit of information to myself.

"I know, I know but if I could get one more test. Just one more. And to make things fair you can even take off twenty percent." I was out of options at this point so I resorted to my first proposal.

"Again I can't do anything else to change your situation, Scarlet. It's the rule and I'm trying to do the best I can with what I'm given. I'm sorry, I truly am." Her voice was pure, and filled with unadulterated sincerity. You could see the genuine empathy and understanding etched into her face.

Despite my repeated failure in her class, she was always my favorite teacher. Unlike most employed in the field of education, she was passionate about her job and above all, her students. She played a distinct role in our education, giving each of us a one-on-one experience where necessary. And she placed just as much effort into making sure our personal lives were great as well.

But at the end of the day, she could do so much and no more. And now I was out of luck.

"It's okay Miss, I'll try to figure it out. Thank You." I expressed graciously, the lump at my throat pushing its way through.

"I know you'll do well Scarlet. I promise it won't last forever." She placed a soft, encouraging touch on my shoulder while giving me the smallest smile. "I have a class now, so I'll see you later. Good luck."

And she was off.

With a bowed head and an intense urge to cry until my eyes were sore and puffy. I trudged down the hallway towards the exit leading to  the parking lot. I already missed out on more than half of my class to speak with Miss Jackson so I just decided to skip the rest of the session altogether so I could get my thoughts sorted. Brady wouldn't care anyway.

As soon as I opened the main door of the school, I was greeted with warm, moist air. The smell of wet earth wafted through the atmosphere and the sound of light drizzle pattering on the roof of the building buzzed against my eardrums.

Spring, ladies, and gentlemen!

But suddenly I looked up and saw that the sun was shining with great intensity, avoiding the nearby cloud that tried to hinder its glory. It was heating everything in its path- the pavement, the prism of the rain droplets, the moist benches that lined the fountain. And I wanted nothing more than to bask in its radiant heat.

But it was raining.

I hated days like today when it rained but the glow of the sun was still seeping through the rain clouds. And soon the drear of the rain would finally expire, only to leave hotter and stickier air in its wake to make me feel even worse.