Chapter 12- Time moves slow (Oliver)

I'm up before my alarm. It's 6:00 am. The nightmares are back. I miss my grandfather so much, he was my saving grace. Rationally, I know it's not my fault that he died, but I was there and I couldn't do anything to save him. Over and Over again I hear the crash and I see the blood. I see him look up at me and smile like he knows it's the end for him. I see the ambulance coming, I see the doctor coming out to say he's gone, and I feel my heart break.

By 7:00 am, I'm not surprised to hear Joey's knock. It's a bit softer. He's nervous. We barely ever fight, and when we do, it's usually about my father, but I've never lost my shit like I did last night. I open the door, and silently let him in. I know he's not mad at me, but there's always this awkwardness whenever we fight.

"You're up early."

"Nightmares." He hands me my coffee and doesn't say anything else. He doesn't need to. He moves towards my couch and sits there and pulls out his phone. I start making my ways towards the kitchen. I already had breakfast, but I still go to make another eggs and bagel. Once finished I hand it to him and he eats silently. I pull out my phone and check my emails, I answer a few, and then notice the time. I don't have classes until later and we got to go into the rink in the morning. Joey also seems to notice the time and points to his watch and glances at me. I nod and get my things and we head out.

Hockey isn't a passion of mine. I'm just good at it. It is however freeing. I like the feel of the ice, the adrenaline, the people, and the workout. It also brought me Joey, so it's harder than I would've thought to let it go. It also gave me purpose and it drove me to do and be better.

Practice goes by in a blur, as much as I wanted to forget about my previous conversation with Joey, this time it felt different. It was much harder seeing him and thinking of him. I feel somewhat guilty and I feel as if I should apologize, but I don't want to. I've never been good at them and honesty I don't think I have anything to truly apologize for.

Joey is the only one I've got. I've known the guy for years. Met him in Kindergarten and he was the first person to talk to me. I was shy and scrawny and people just did not gravitate to me and I was fine with that, but Joey did. He forced me to be friends with him and I honestly didn't mind. Everything went to shit when my brother died. I started pushing him away, getting involved with drugs and was having more problems with my father. By sophomore year I was mess and by Senior year I was full on drug addict. It was a shitty time in my life and Joey stuck by me. He kept inserting himself into my life, helping me out, letting me spend nights no matter how shitty of a friend I was to him and for that I'll always be thankful. If I was him, I would've cut my loses by now.

So no. I cant lose Joey, he's everything I've got. Besides my grandfather he's been the only person who's ever been by my side. I'll out my pride aside and fix this. With this in mind, once we get into the lockers rooms, I shower as fast as I can in hopes of cornering him.

Just when I'm finished I see him walk out the door.

Fuck.

So much for fixing things.

Avery saved me a seat again. I inwardly smile. I wouldn't put it past the girl to put her bag or something on the seat if she saw me smile. I walk over to my seat and sit down. After a few minutes of awkward silence on my part, I break it.

"Hello Avery."

"Oliver."

"You remembered my name." My smile breaking out in full force.

"Your name is rather basic and well white."

"Should I be offended."

"Probably. Some may consider my comment an insult."