Chapter 38- A change is gonna come (Oliver)

My father is fucking dying. And no one thought to tell me. Not even Joey. My father is also decide to spring the fact that after this he's going to hospice! That's why he wanted to move. I don't even know what to feel anymore. I just feel so damn betrayed by everyone in my life right now.

How could Joey just not tell me such important information.

"Joey get out."

"Oliver please just-"

"Joey please get out." I say softly and he gets up and heads for the door but not before saying "He went to your games you know, you never saw him but he was there. He's really proud of you."

I don't even know what to say to that so I say nothing and stare at him blankly. With a dejected sigh, he leaves without another word. River comes up to me and drops the food on the table.

"Oliver?" She asks cautiously.

"Yeah?"

"Let's eat." And we dig in. My girl sure knows how to cook.

After we finish our meals, we leave some for my father. Hospital food sucks ass and River and I sneak him some better shit whenever no one's looking.

When my father enters the room with a nurse, River smiles up at him and he does the same. They aren't close but River's accepted him for me and it makes me feel somewhat better. They talk at times and it's nice to see them interact with each other.

"How'd physical therapy go today."

"Like shit." River goes to to help my father to his bed and the nurse leaves. "We left you some food, hope you like it."

"I like anything you cook." She rolls her eyes but I can tell she loves when anyone compliments her cooking.

We spend the day together just talking and laughing and for a moment, just for a moment I forgot about all the problems I'm going to have to face soon.

My father falls asleep a while later, he's tired a lot these days. It's hard seeing the life die right out of him day by day. River follows me out and I immediately know what she's about to ask.

"What did Joey do?"

"I motion for her to get into my car and she does. This conversation is private and I'd rather not spill my business to potential listeners." Back when I first moved here, Joey begged me to talk to my father, said he changed. I didn't believe him and we didn't talk for a while after that. We made up and things were pretty normal after that. Except that I found out he's been secretly visiting my father and giving him updates about me, and he was there when my father had his heart attack. He was there and didn't tell me. Due to my father's age and previous health problems he's not going to make it this time."

"Holy shit."

"How can we come back from that? Who keeps shit like that from their best friend?"

"Do you think you could fix things?"

"Maybe. I don't know. Joey's always been a constant for me but maybe we've outgrown each other?

"Give it time baby. A change is going to come. When does your father go to hospice?"

I sigh. " A few days from now. Sunday I think."

"We'll visit him every day until his last."